Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Co-Applicant or to NO Applicant, That IS the Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Co-Applicant or to NO Applicant, That IS the Question

As I continue my credit score building grind (and it IS indeed that, a grind), my partners sister suggested something that helped her bounce back from a grueling credit score building process; "Get a credit card together!".

Like myself, her credit took a major plummet after a few medical bills got out of her control. She filed for bankruptcy and utilized her partners credit to bring her score back up. As this sounds promising, I'm not sure what type of card we should try for. Naturally, I would rather us apply for a card where we can gain some sort of rewards (miles, points, etc.), but I'm not sure how the flaws on my credit will damper his.

Does anyone have any advice on this matter? Any tips or How-To's?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: To Co-Applicant or to NO Applicant, That IS the Question

@Anonymous wrote:

As I continue my credit score building grind (and it IS indeed that, a grind), my partners sister suggested something that helped her bounce back from a grueling credit score building process; "Get a credit card together!".

Like myself, her credit took a major plummet after a few medical bills got out of her control. She filed for bankruptcy and utilized her partners credit to bring her score back up. As this sounds promising, I'm not sure what type of card we should try for. Naturally, I would rather us apply for a card where we can gain some sort of rewards (miles, points, etc.), but I'm not sure how the flaws on my credit will damper his.

Thanks in advance!

Discover allows you to add a joint account holder very easily once it's open (does your partner have one?)

Mind you if in the future you want CLI's, I find that SP CLI's are impossible to get and CLI requests will require both people to be on the phone and both take a hp.

if the account is already in a good place than you can be added without a credit pull and be done with it.

USBank allows joint applicants from the beginning of the application and it will go off primary only.

Most other places stopped doing joint accounts because it was the backdoor into many banks back before 2008

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

How close are you to this person?  Do you absolutely trust them?  Bear in mind, anything one of you do on a joint credit card that is approved will affect both of you.  What are both your scores?

Citi, Discover etc.. allows for joint credit card application.  Another thing you two can do is have the person with the best credit apply and then add the other person as "authorized user".

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

How close are you to this person?  Do you absolutely trust them?  Bear in mind, anything one of you do on a joint credit card that is approved will affect both of you.  What are both your scores?

Citi, Discover etc.. allows for joint credit card application.  Another thing you two can do is have the person with the best credit apply and then add the other person as "authorized user".

citi doesn't allow joint applications! (unless you mean Macy's)

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Wrong and I don't mean Macys.  Citi does that - https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/html/cm/know-the-rules/how-credit-cards-work/card-ownership.html

Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Wrong and I don't mean Macys.  Citi does that - https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/html/cm/know-the-rules/how-credit-cards-work/card-ownership.html

that's simply telling you what a joint card means and in the past citi offered joint accoounts... but go try to apply for any citi cards... there is no where to add a joint account holder (only AU)

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance!

that's simply telling you what a joint card means and in the past citi offered joint accoounts... but go try to apply for any citi cards... there is no where to add a joint account holder (only AU)

We have a Citi Diamond Preferred for a year and a half now and we applied together for it in a branch jointly..  I guess if OP really wants a joint CIti card, he/she should call Citi.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.