cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Retail Card or Not to Retail Card?

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: To Retail Card or Not to Retail Card?

Store cards like any other cards have their place. Sure one doesn't need to load up on them but the same argument could be said for the other side.

I picked more than I should have during my rebuild but assuming store cards causes one to not be able to achieve any good majors is false.

I still have a few store cards and will until they change the way they handle their programs/rewards or kick me to the curb.

As I've said a many of times around these here parts...show me a VS/MC/Amex/Discover that will allow me to furnish my house with just about any mid range construction or any major appliance time and time again, usually in 18-24 month spans at 0% interest. I don't know of one...but my Lowe's card allows it...time and time again.

Best Buy...nothing like heading to that Magnolia section of the store and getting exactly what I want for 12-24 months interest free.

So...are store cards for everyone? Nope. Are they for some? Maybe. Should one avoid them? Well personal choice. Do they have their place in the market just like any major? In my opinion, absolutely! Will they stop you from getting majors with high limits...heck no and I'm proof.
Message 21 of 32
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I won’t knock store cards - my first card was a store card, and I feel like it was instrumental in helping me build a nice credit profile. It’s about to turn 2 years old, and it’s oldest card and now has a $10,000 limit. It started out with a $1000 SL and being Synchrony, it grew very well. It has ongoing 6 month 0% promotional financing on purchases of $299 or more, which is fine, but I’ve never used. What I have used is the $50 off $250 purchases a couple of times and they offer $100 off $799 purchases a few times a year too, which I haven’t needed yet, but I’m planning utilizing it the next time they offer it to order the parts to rebuild an engine. Mine co-branded with Synchrony Car Care, so until I got into Cash Back cards, I used it exclusively for gas, parts stores, mechanic and tire shops. I cycled a bunch of money through it, and got a lot of good offers on it. I don’t use it as much now, but it offers enough to always keep it open.

For me, if they benefit you and offer something your normal cards don’t, go for it.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 22 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

For me, if they benefit you and offer something your normal cards don’t, go for it.

Right.   To my mind, the evaluation process for  a store card isn't that different from that for a bank card.  (Best to PIF, but that's true for both).   In both cases, if a card gives an obvious net benefit that can't be bettered with another card, it's certainly worth considering.

Yes, you probably shouldn't get an Amazon store card if you never use Amazon (apart from the "utilization padding" crowd) but I shouldn't get the Chase BA card if I never fly BA either

Message 23 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 1 store card, Lowe's. I don't plan to get any more. I'm not a big fan of Synchrony, or any other of banks that offer store cards, but 5% off at Lowe's is pretty good. I shop there enough in the spring and summer to warrant a 5% discount which makes it worth carrying the card. I like the big boys, like Citi, Chase, etc., and Synchrony doesn't seem to fit the banks I want on my credit report. 

What I do is carry the best one out there for my needs. If I had 4 cards, I would carry no more than one store card. 8 cards, no more than two. But I have no use for 2, so I carry the best one for me, Lowe's. 

Message 24 of 32
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Credit mix is a factor in fico scores and store cards can help with that. So long as you aren't letting the cards build to up to the point where you can't repay them I don't see anything wrong with it. Even if you are carrying a balance with a small amount of interest.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 25 of 32
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

Lots of good responses, guys.  I can appreciate the mixture of perspectives.  I think I will keep the idea of a store card in my sights, but will reconsider it later down the road- perhaps, closer to the next holiday season.  It sounds to me as though the Red Card is decent and I believe Target has remained a good quality of a department retail store.  Lowe's could also be considered, as even before now I have heard good things about their card as well.  Please keep pitching opinions in, the more insight the better!

Message 26 of 32
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

I have the Target Red Card, but the debit version. It's literally the same thing as the credit card, besides the obvious difference: one comes out of your bank account, and one is credit. It does take a few days for the money to come out of my Wells Fargo account, but I always use it when I go to Target. Unless, of course, Discover has their Target 5% category, then I use that one. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:
Store cards like any other cards have their place. Sure one doesn't need to load up on them but the same argument could be said for the other side.

As I've said a many of times around these here parts...show me a VS/MC/Amex/Discover that will allow me to furnish my house with just about any mid range construction or any major appliance time and time again, usually in 18-24 month spans at 0% interest. I don't know of one...but my Lowe's card allows it...time and time again.

That much I agree with, I do like those 0% APR promos they like to run. The only time you get those offers on regular cards is for intro period.

Message 28 of 32
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

As I often tell people around these parts, my rebuild officially started when my $250 JCPenney card became a $750 JCPenney card.   For me, retail cards were definitely worth it.

Target, in particular, is a good one.   You really can't beat the 5% back feature, and it's very easy to use the card with the app for returns.   And they can upgrade to a semi-decent MC with no FTF and chip-and-pin.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have Target RedCard in your sights and dont want the HP and still want 5%, I strongly suggest the RedCard Debit. Not sure if you get 5% shopping elsewhere and get the 5% with the major or other perks, but if you are talking strictly Target, debit should be a great option! I know I don't qualify for the Target store card, but I have found the debit card to be equally enticing. Same signup bonus of $40 of $40 currently whether it be debit or CC you sign up for. You simply link it to your checking account. Boom 5% off all Target purchases and free shipping over certain amount ($25?) Just like the store card/major cc. Just my two cents!

Not sure why this one isn't brought up more often. I used to have the prepaid Amex serve RedCard amd also got the 5% off, but they discontinued that years ago. Not sure how long the Debit RedCard has been around, but I couldn't resist 5% off and $40 off $40! I live me some Target shopping!

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.