Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To all Amex Gold holders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To all Amex Gold holders

Have you received retention offers every year to offset the AF?
Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex reallocated my limits

So on 5/20 I was approved for HH w/SL 10.5k. Found out they took some from my ED card. Since I will not be using my ED now I moved most of the limits to the HH.
Message 1 of 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex reallocated my limits

Yeah, sometimes Amex will do that if you’re at your current limit with them. Congrats on the approval of the new card! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 7
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: To all Amex Gold holders

@Anonymous wrote:
Have you received retention offers every year to offset the AF?

I've never asked for one. My wife puts enough grocery spend through mine to make more than double what the AF is in MR points every year.

Message 4 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1812751-american-express-retenti...

Look at the later pages for newer data points. The wiki hasn't been updated in some time.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read a blog about someone who does, but who really knows. All you can do is try it annually once the AF hits. Just explain to them why, as in current perks aren't working for you personally. Some people get enough through perks that it does offset the AF, other people do not.

It never hurts to ask, though I'm not sure I'd do it every year. YMMV

Message 6 of 7
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Last year I was offered 10K MR for $1500 spend in 3 months.  I put more than that on it anyway, so I didn't even have to change my habits.  I've heard mention of 20K MR retention offers before, but I haven't seen one yet.

On the same day, when I downgraded my EDP, they offered 5K MR or $50 for $1K spend, my choice.  I declined.

I just got offered 5K MR for $2K on that same ED card when I called to cancel it.

From what I hear, they are more likely to make an offer if you put a lot of spend on the card.  So even if you're already earning enough to offset the fee, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.