cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To app or not to app: amex charge or credit? Both?

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: To app or not to app: amex charge or credit? Both?

I just googled: American Express application status

Worked for me Smiley Happy

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 31 of 46
FrugalRican
Blogger

Just found it: http://www.americanexpress.com/myappstatus

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 32 of 46
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I looked up the application status. BCP is approved!

Yay - I have Amex Green and BCP!

Thank you everyone who helped me and a special thanks to RyVision, who has been helping me since day one and suggested multiple strategies for application.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 33 of 46
FrugalRican
Blogger

Congratulations.

Both are lovely cards!

Message 34 of 46
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Mailak;

If you can remember your old user name and password for your old AMEX account, see if it will let you in (slim chance but could cause an auto back date if you got in).

Anything you can remember about getting into your old online account, like email address, sec questions, at the time to request a new password etc.  Would be great if you remembered all that, just to be able to try logging in that way.

I am crossing all my fingers and toes for you getting an auto back date without a call.  It usually shows up on the account page if it does it right away (after you get into the account page).  I forget which tab\page shows the member since year,  something like 'my account" or "profile"  (I don't sign on very often and I think they recently changed where it shows up).

HUGE Congrats btw 

If it doesn't auto BD for you, we'll work on that later lol

I'm anxious to find out what they gave you for a limit on the BCP though!  I'm really hoping it hits the 5 figure area, if not, 61 day magic might do that for you Smiley Wink

Again, huge congrats Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 35 of 46
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Mailak;

If you can remember your old user name and password for your old AMEX account, see if it will let you in (slim chance but could cause an auto back date if you got in).

Anything you can remember about getting into your old online account, like email address, sec questions, at the time to request a new password etc.  Would be great if you remembered all that, just to be able to try logging in that way.

I am crossing all my fingers and toes for you getting an auto back date without a call.  It usually shows up on the account page if it does it right away (after you get into the account page).  I forget which tab\page shows the member since year,  something like 'my account" or "profile"  (I don't sign on very often and I think they recently changed where it shows up).

HUGE Congrats btw 

If it doesn't auto BD for you, we'll work on that later lol

I'm anxious to find out what they gave you for a limit on the BCP though!  I'm really hoping it hits the 5 figure area, if not, 61 day magic might do that for you Smiley Wink

Again, huge congrats Smiley Happy

Thanks, RyVision!

I'm afraid, the CL is rather tragic. More like crying-worthy. Far be it from 5 figures, they gave me $2k only. I don't know - two applications in quick succession? I called and asked and was told 2k (congrats!). I was rather speechless. This is like college-student-with-barely-any-income limit.

Any idea how I might find out about the Green card? I hear about an internal limit.I was thinking that WF plan might get canceled but perhaps I might need to bank on it after all. Tomorrow, I'll see if I got two hits or only one on my reports.

Everybody at work keeps telling me to go on a vacation. I was hoping I might be going later this month on American Express.  Smiley Frustrated I have a flight, hotel and conference charges to pay for too separately. I was hoping to immediately rack up points. I don't even know what I can put on Green. At least, I am in the AMEX system now.

I can't log in using expected username/passwords and it gave me a prompt that I had tried twice and it would lock me out. Obviously that means that username exists. If I try password recovery, it wants the full account number and billing zip. I don't have the full account number Smiley Sad

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 36 of 46
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Once you build up some history with amex those limits will grow, especially with the green card. Keep making your payments on time and the internal limit for their charge products grows quickly. For the BCP you can request a 3X CLI after 61 days, then every six months after

Congrats!

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 37 of 46
FrugalRican
Blogger

That 2K could become an 8K CL in about 61 days, I wouldn't worry too much.

Message 38 of 46
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Does this mean I will be sent an EX score? Hehe.

Message 39 of 46
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Mailak;

A starting CL of 2k with BCP while only having 1 open card with a 300CL is actually very impressive.  AMEX must have liked the rest and your score (as I expected) or you wouldn't have gotten the BCP.  You can also pay AMEX before the statement cuts if you want more spending room by pushing a payment through to them from your banks bill pay feature (AMEX won't let you pay them using their page usually before the statement cuts).  They don't tend to mind.  If you end up not carrying a balance, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a good CLI after the 61 days. Smiley Happy

As for getting into your old account, or possibly getting to it through a "side door", you might want to call and ask for internet or web help, tell them you have an account and your old user name and password but not the full account number, just the last digits. They might be able to get you into it and that could very possibly back date you automatically Smiley Wink  If anyone says to set up your new account the need to delete the old one, don't buy it, tell them you don't want to lose your original member ship date and that was one of the MAIN reasons you applied for AMEX again in the first place, because it's the one privilege they can offer no other company can, or you could have gone anywhere.  (Be polite but a bit demanding, membership has it's privileges, make them live up to that statement).

After it's back dated, and showing on your reports, then you could probably go into WF and get an even better Cl with them, or Discover frankly.  Smiley Happy

You are very much on your way to much better cards than you carry right now Smiley Wink  Big Congrats! Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.