Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To app or not to app?

tag
chwebb1
Established Contributor

To app or not to app?

Hello All,

I am trying to decide what to do. I'll be doing business with a Canadian merchant on a monthly basis, and all of my cards (except for the Ring) charge a hefty Foreign Transaction Fee (2.7%-3%). The merchant doesn't take American Express (Visa and MasterCard only), so my Visa has a 3% FTF, and my MC has a 1% FTF. Would it be worthwhile to find a no FTF card? I didn't really want to open any more accounts, but it looks like it would save me some money to do so. What do you guys think? I wasn't really wanting to open an account with Cap1 either since I've read horror stories here and elsewhere. So other than Cap1, what other major credit card (other than Chase) offer no FTFs? I would love to have the Arrival, but I apped for it last month and was declined. The only other card I'm interested in at the moment is Huntington Voice, and it has no FTFs, but I feel like I should probably garden for at least 6 more months before apping for it. What do you guys think? Should I just deal with it and pay the 1% to Barclays?

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: To app or not to app?

@chwebb1 wrote:

Hello All,

I am trying to decide what to do. I'll be doing business with a Canadian merchant on a monthly basis, and all of my cards (except for the Ring) charge a hefty Foreign Transaction Fee (2.7%-3%). The merchant doesn't take American Express (Visa and MasterCard only), so my Visa has a 3% FTF, and my MC has a 1% FTF. Would it be worthwhile to find a no FTF card? I didn't really want to open any more accounts, but it looks like it would save me some money to do so. What do you guys think? I wasn't really wanting to open an account with Cap1 either since I've read horror stories here and elsewhere. So other than Cap1, what other major credit card (other than Chase) offer no FTFs? I would love to have the Arrival, but I apped for it last month and was declined. The only other card I'm interested in at the moment is Huntington Voice, and it has no FTFs, but I feel like I should probably garden for at least 6 more months before apping for it. What do you guys think? Should I just deal with it and pay the 1% to Barclays?

3% on each transaction adds up. I would try for the Chase CSP card, since your merchant won't take AmEx.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 13
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

Hello All,

3% on each transaction adds up. I would try for the Chase CSP card, since your merchant won't take AmEx.

I have previously had a bad experience with Chase, so I really don't want one of their cards right now. And the fee I'd be paying is 1% on my Barclaycard Ring. So I guess my question is "Is it better to pay 1% to Barclays, or app before I feel like I'm ready to?".

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
Message 3 of 13
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Other cards that offer 0% FTF are the B of A Travel Rewards and Citi Thank You (Premier and Prestige).
My family's favorite travel destinations are out of the US, so I completely understand how annoying those FTFs can be -- they can definitely add up. Hopefully you'll get the card that'll meet your travel and other needs the most.
Best of luck with with whatever you choose to do!
AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 4 of 13
user5387
Valued Contributor

Here are a couple of ideas.

1.  The SDFCU chip & pin cards have no FETF, and you can get the secured one without a hard pull or annual fees.

2.  The Penfed and USAA CCs may be worth looking at.

3.  Some of the online cash management accounts like Fidelity and Schwab have debit cards that are useful for international transactions.

Message 5 of 13
phonic
Contributor

Honestly, I think it all comes down to economics. 

How much do you spend per year at the Canadian merchant? Times that by your FTF. Is it worth it, to you, to save $X by getting another card? If so, is $X > $Y, with $Y being an annual fee from some cards, like the CSP, that don't have an foreign transaction fee? If not, then you probably shouldn't go that route and might look at non-AF cards with no FTF. If $X > $Y, or if you find a card without an AF that you like, then it seems like a no brainer to get it and use it for those purchases.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 6 of 13
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@phonic wrote:

Honestly, I think it all comes down to economics. 

How much do you spend per year at the Canadian merchant? Times that by your FTF. Is it worth it, to you, to save $X by getting another card? If so, is $X > $Y, with $Y being an annual fee from some cards, like the CSP, that don't have an foreign transaction fee? If not, then you probably shouldn't go that route and might look at non-AF cards with no FTF. If $X > $Y, or if you find a card without an AF that you like, then it seems like a no brainer to get it and use it for those purchases.

I don't think I want to have to pay an AF for this card. And I just can't decide since I really want to app for the Arrival at the end of the year. And I don't want to risk my chances of not getting approved.

Message 7 of 13
chwebb1
Established Contributor

So I tried for the Huntington Voice card, and it said something to the effect of "Not available to people in your area who aren't already our customer.". So I decided I'll just pay Barclays their 1% fee. And the conversion rate (even with the fee) is very fair. I wasn't expecting it to be that good. Their conversion rate is lower than what Wolfram Alpha said it should be, even with the fee.

Message 8 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@chwebb1 wrote:

So I tried for the Huntington Voice card, and it said something to the effect of "Not available to people in your area who aren't already our customer.". So I decided I'll just pay Barclays their 1% fee. And the conversion rate (even with the fee) is very fair. I wasn't expecting it to be that good. Their conversion rate is lower than what Wolfram Alpha said it should be, even with the fee.

So, at the end of the day, you saved yourself a tradeline (even an AF) and a HP.  Seems like the FTF would be a nominal amount, unless the volume or transactions were considerably higher.  So, good outcome indeed.

Message 9 of 13
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

So, at the end of the day, you saved yourself a tradeline (even an AF) and a HP.  Seems like the FTF would be a nominal amount, unless the volume or transactions were considerably higher.  So, good outcome indeed.

I honestly think it'll probably just be at most $200/year, so they can definitely take the fee. I won't complain.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.