cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To apply or not to apply... that is the question.

tag
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

To apply or not to apply... that is the question.

One of the hardest parts of being in the Garden... is being in the Garden. 

You wish to grow your current portfolio of cards, expand your banking relationships. And just generally make a positive impact on your credit. But if you like me then sometimes you loose your way, you want to find the next great thing: 

You have your friend whose a J.P. Morgen Private Bank client introduce you to his private banker just to try for the JP Morgen Reserve Card....

Any thoughts on if I should retire from the garden, and choose the J.P. Morgan Advisor? Does anyone give a **bleep** about the reserve card anymore??

BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50,800 | NFCU MCPlatinum $50,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $10,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6,000 | American Express Cash $2,000 | American Express Blue Business Plus $4,000 | Apple Card Mastercard $5,500 | Discover IT Student $1,000

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
28 REPLIES 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: To apply or not to apply... that is the question.

I'm all for applying for science's sake, but realistically the invitation for the JPM Reserve card is something like 10m in assets.  Basically the tier higher than CPC (Private Banking?) I don't qualify for that, actually I will never get there frankly.

More to the point it's just a status symbol for those that care, the card itself isn't any better than the CSR to my knowledge.  

        
Message 2 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I dont have any friends like that or on that levelSmiley Sad. Most of my friends here just want me to app  Penfed😬

Message 3 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you already have $10 MM or more in JP Morgan Chase Private Bank, then I would probably spend the extra $45 annually to get the card over the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  The only real different between the two cards is slightly higher AF, card construction, exclusivity due to being invite-only, and an elevated concierge service over the CSR - and I certainly won't say that last three aren't worth the first.

If you don't already have that level of assets with them, I wouldn't think it's worth moving that much to them just to get the card over getting a CSR, unless they are offering other incentives for you to move funds to them.

I'd love to have one myself, but it's never going to happen.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If you already have $10 MM or more in JP Morgan Chase Private Bank, then I would probably spend the extra $45 annually to get the card over the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  The only real different between the two cards is slightly higher AF, card construction, exclusivity due to being invite-only, and an elevated concierge service over the CSR - and I certainly won't say that last three aren't worth the first.

If you don't already have that level of assets with them, I wouldn't think it's worth moving that much to them just to get the card over getting a CSR, unless they are offering other incentives for you to move funds to them.

I'd love to have one myself, but it's never going to happen.

I mean, if you have the 10mm in assets, why are you even dealing with Chase over you friends in the Isle of Man or other wonderful havens. Right?

Message 5 of 29
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I'm locked in a debate on whether I should move forward with plans for an app spree, especially when my scores are on an upward trajectory for the next couple of months.

I'm at 4.3% utilization in Chase Credit Journey so its not like I need more CL. At the beginning of the year I could have found use with a 0% APR card but now looking at 2% utilization by next month that ship has sailed.

At the end of the day though I think you should be OK as a reliable customer with a bank like Chase because if they become too tight they lose market share. 

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 6 of 29
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

So the friend said to just deposit like 50k in an account and ask for the card. And they'll probably just give it to me to keep me a happy client.

So maybe ill do that and see if they'll give it ot me with no hard pull or anything. Am I still in the garden if i dont have a new hard pull? lol.

BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50,800 | NFCU MCPlatinum $50,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $10,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6,000 | American Express Cash $2,000 | American Express Blue Business Plus $4,000 | Apple Card Mastercard $5,500 | Discover IT Student $1,000

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you could just throw $50K into an account that card would be everywhere on here. 

Message 8 of 29
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

I always wanna go on an Application Spree. Because for some reason these stupid gambling computers make me feel good when they realize ill pay back their corporation and bring them lots of money in merchant fees...

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
Message 9 of 29
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

My friend is a pretty heavy hitter tho. The group he reffered me to (within JPMORGAN) has only billion dollar clients. So yeah idk, we'll see if hes full of **bleep**e or not. But i believe him.

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.