cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To balance transfer, or not balance transfer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To balance transfer, or not balance transfer?

Long time lurker, first time poster....the amount of knowledge I’ve gained here has proven invaluable!

Up until six months ago, I never cared about my credit. With scores in the low 600s, I only cared that I could finance a car, or have few a piddly high-interest credit cards: Credit one 300/1500 and 800/1500, Merrick 1800/2200, Cap 1 QS 1000/1500 and Care 0/500.

Last month, with FICO 8s of EX 676 EQ 661 and TU 677, and a recently paid Verizon collection account (my last remaining derogatory tradeline), I read an encouraging thread here and applied for a Discover It Chrome while laying in bed at midnight between levels of Toon Blast, and got one helluva a surprise: an approval with a $6,000 SL!

“HOLY $&@%!”

Currently, I’m pretty proud that my EX 8 is at 695.....doors are starting to open. That auto loan that I’ve been thinking about taking out instead of being at 8% is now looking closer to 5 or 4%. Strengthening my credit is now a hobby....

My question is this: I currently have around $3900 in balances (total $13,150 CL, around 30% UTI) on all my initially mentioned accounts, besides taking advantage of the 14 month 0% balance transfer promo with Discover, is there anything else to gain score wise by transferring all my balances to the new Discover card?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: To balance transfer, or not balance transfer?

Finances over FICO.

BT pros:
Saving money 💰 on interest.
Zero out your high interest APR % cards.
Fico score boost by reducing 50% of cards reporting a balance
Another score boost for reducing individual utilization, one was near maxed out 82%

Cons:
Tempory score penalty for 3900/6000, 65% discover utilization.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:
Finances over FICO.

BT pros:
Saving money 💰 on interest.
Zero out your high interest APR % cards.
Fico score boost by reducing 50% of cards reporting a balance
Another score boost for reducing individual utilization, one was near maxed out 82%

Cons:
Tempory score penalty for 3900/6000, 65% discover utilization.

There would actually be score gain, not penalty. Merrick card is at 82% and essentially maxed out for scoring purposes. 

Message 3 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ That was the only negative I thought of for the Cons field if we were to consider trying to fully optimize score.

So there will be some positive and negative points. Overall, it will net a score gain.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you see yourself carrying those balance for a while (more than a few months), yeah, transfer them.

Message 5 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Carrying a balance with Disco may actually help you get a biiger cli down the road. Its not gaurenteed but its one thing ive noticed seems to help those who have gotten big cli , ymmv of courseSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say do it. Just be sure not to run up balances on the other cards again. I did a BT to my Disco It card when I opened it, and have gotten a few nice CLIs
Message 7 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

A) Dollars are more important than Fico scores.

B) As already mentioned, you'll probably see a Fico BOOST after all of your cards update.

Do the balance transfers.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Clearly unanimous!

I’ve whittled Merrick down to 1400, roughly 66% UTI, but the BT will save me around another $100 a month in interest, just wanted to make sure there wouldn’t be a offset by carrying a high balance than I’ve ever had. Currently reducing revolving debt around $400/month so progress is being made!

Thanks for all your insights!
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Clearly unanimous!

I’ve whittled Merrick down to 1400, roughly 66% UTI, but the BT will save me around another $100 a month in interest, just wanted to make sure there wouldn’t be a offset by carrying a high balance than I’ve ever had. Currently reducing revolving debt around $400/month so progress is being made!

Thanks for all your insights!

$400/mo w/ 0% being added monthly makes a lot of sense considering your current cards are obviously charging north of 20% or even 25%.  first month savings makes up for the BT fee.

Then we have to talk about the transition after things get paid down.....

Credit one 300/1500 and 800/1500,

Merrick 1800/2200,

Cap 1 QS 1000/1500 

Care 0/500.

Disco $6000

So, you need to kill those 3 cards when the BT goes through.  When the BT pays them off but before Disco reports a balance... you'll have a small window to pick up 1 more CC ro replace the 3 you're cutting.  Your scores probably won't be updating in this window though either since there's a lag between payoff and reporting.

Disco will give you 0% on purchases/BT's for XX months but, the goal is to just payoff things on 0% w/o adding to it.

Picking up a spend card that's PIF only each month would be the goal here to balance things out and generate growth down the line having 4 cards to be able to rotate through to max your potential points w/o killing your UTIL and other factors like # of cards w/ balance.  Since you mentioned EX in your OP I would probably take a look at Amex as you're right on the cusp of an awesome approval scorewise but, not in too mjuch danger of a denial.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/?category=all  Check here incognito mode and see what looks appealing.... I would probably aim for BCE/ED cards w/ $0 AF attached to them 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.