Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To cancel cards or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To cancel cards or not?

Now I know there are a few factors as to whether or not to cancel a card.

From what I've heard, your credit limit-to-usage ratio plays a big part, as well as your credit history. 

My cards are:

Marriot Rewards - $15,000 CL, just approved

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - $13,800 CL, 1 year old

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $7,500 CL, 1 year old

Citi Simplicity  - $3,000 CL, 1 year old

Express - $no idea, 3+ years old

Macy's - $no idea, 3+ years old

The cards I use most/plan on using the most are the top 3, with the bottom 3 being inactive for quite some time. With the majority of my CL being in the top 3 cards, my assumption is that my usage ratio won't change much by cancelling the latter 3, especially since I just received an extra $15,000 with the addition of the Marriott Rewards card. 

On the other hand, my least-used cards are also the oldest. 

Your thoughts? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: To cancel cards or not?

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I've heard, your credit limit-to-usage ratio plays a big part, as well as your credit history. 

My cards are:

The cards I use most/plan on using the most are the top 3, with the bottom 3 being inactive for quite some time. With the majority of my CL being in the top 3 cards, my assumption is that my usage ratio won't change much by cancelling the latter 3, especially since I just received an extra $15,000 with the addition of the Marriott Rewards card. 

Your thoughts? 

my opinion on keeping or canceling cards is if there is no AF , i would keep it open as long as i could. There is no drawback for keeping cards open. Other people may not agree with me though. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 8
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My cards are:

Your thoughts? 

my opinion on keeping or canceling cards is if there is no AF , i would keep it open as long as i could. There is no drawback for keeping cards open. Other people may not agree with me though. 

The thing that scares me about inactive cards is the chance that it could be compromised.  I could almost forget about it, but if someone finds a way to use it and rack up charges, I'm responsible.  I suppose transaction alerts are the answer to that concern.

Message 3 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Simba501 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My cards are:

Your thoughts? 

The thing that scares me about inactive cards is the chance that it could be compromised.  I could almost forget about it, but if someone finds a way to use it and rack up charges, I'm responsible.  I suppose transaction alerts are the answer to that concern.

Well you can literally sock drawer them so you don't have them in your wallet. Also I check my credit cards twice a week to make sure nothing gets charged that I don't want to 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 8
MT936
Established Contributor

If they aren't costing you to keep them open, do not cancel them

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alrighty, sounds like the general consensus is to keep them. The only real reason I'd have for cancelling is that they're unused and I don't like having "loose ends". I pack light. Smiley Very Happy

Now it appears I'll be having 6 credit cards laying around. Is there some "limit" that I shouldn't pass? How many cards is too many? 

Message 6 of 8
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, unless it's one's oldest TL or low APR, there's no compelling reason to keep it open, just for the sake of keeping it open.  

I'm not really that concerned necessarily about the number of TLs (for me, keeping track of numerious cards comes pretty naturally), but the available credit thing. I'd just much rather not run into the "enough credit" when I sign-up for a new card.  Sure, I can call, but I don't like to explain or answer questions to lenders, or anyone, for that matter.

Message 7 of 8
MT936
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Alrighty, sounds like the general consensus is to keep them. The only real reason I'd have for cancelling is that they're unused and I don't like having "loose ends". I pack light. Smiley Very Happy

Now it appears I'll be having 6 credit cards laying around. Is there some "limit" that I shouldn't pass? How many cards is too many? 

no amount is too many as long as you can manage them and keep your credit utilization low. I too have 6 cards and I don't plan on applying for any new ones for years

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.