cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close a recently opened SC, MC account?

tag
jim44
Established Contributor

To close a recently opened SC, MC account?

I was caught up in the pre online Black Friday frenzy especially on the Sam's Club website. I ended up applying for the SC MC for the $45 statement credit.  The whole checkout ordeal was a disaster and the item I wanted to buy was out of stock and reverted back to regular price at the end of the day.  

Now I'm not seeing advantages of keeping this card. I have a Walmart card that I can use and I'm not too sure of keeping my SC membership next year.  I've taken the HP hit and of course the AAoA drop, however I have enough credit elsewhere.  I'm just wondering about ramifications to my CS if I close a recently opened account (with no purchases) vs keeping it until my SC membership expires next year.  My truth in lending stated my SC is 755.  

I appreciate any advice and comments too whether good or bad. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To close a recently opened SC, MC account?

As you said, you have alredy taken the HP and the AAoA reduction. Closing the card will not add anymore adverse action to your score. I did a similar thing in 2009; I opened a Walmart Discover card like an idiot. I never activated it; never made a purchase and therefore never made a payment. I closed the card two weeks later. It is an empty shell of an account. I took the hit for AAoA and the inquiry back when I opened it. Closing it did not add anything. 

GE (now called Synch Bank) used to be really good about removing trade lines from credit bureaus early (my Best Buy and Mervyn's cards were removed after being closed for 5 years) but those jackwads refuse to delete that darn Walmart card from my bureaus. I understand that I opened it and that they can report for 10 years but my argument is that it was never used and there were no payments, so there really isnt anything too report, but it is what it is. Hard lesson learned. 

Message 2 of 4
SBR249
Established Contributor

Now that you've taken the HP and the AAoA, there's really no impact whether you keep the card or not if it's not a substantial part of your available credit. The account will continue to report for a bit and then drop off. I guess the only thing that might happen is it might look weird with no record of balances or payments or anything. But that's not really that important anyway. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. The sams club MC is an excellent rewards cards. 5% on gas station spend including purchases inside. 3%on dining no caps and 1% everywhere else including sams and Walmart. This card should effectively displace the Walmart Card IMHO. 

This again is an excellent rewards card that grows like an unchecked weed. 

Good luck in in your decision. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.