Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close

tag
adamkingadam
Regular Contributor

To close or not to close

That is my question! I am in rebuild mode and have raised my scores where I was able to add some respectable cards to my portfolio (Amex Blue Cash, Cap One Quicksilver, Discover IT).

My question is in regards to my rebuild cards that I have (First National, First Savings).  Should I close them now that I have the other cards? What pro's and con's are there to keeping them closed/open. 

Thanks! 

Starting Scores: 1/1/2016
EX 600 EQ 598 TU 610
Current Fico Scores (9/2016):EX: 674 EQ: 678 TU: 689
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To close or not to close

The only "con" is if your utilization/available credit will be greatly affected by losing those limits.  If you have enough on your other cards to keep your utilization percentage down without needing these two cards' limits, then this is a moot point.

"Pros" include getting away from annual fees, account maintenance fees, or any of that sort of thing.

Once paid off and closed, the accounts will still remain on your credit report as a "positive" tradeline, assuming they are all clear of late payments and whatnot already.  you just won't be able to use the cards, so their credit limits will be removed from your available credit and utilization figures.

Speaking from past experience, though, it can feel really good to cut up those "subprime" cards.

Message 2 of 5
adamkingadam
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The only "con" is if your utilization/available credit will be greatly affected by losing those limits.  If you have enough on your other cards to keep your utilization percentage down without needing these two cards' limits, then this is a moot point.

"Pros" include getting away from annual fees, account maintenance fees, or any of that sort of thing.

Once paid off and closed, the accounts will still remain on your credit report as a "positive" tradeline, assuming they are all clear of late payments and whatnot already.  you just won't be able to use the cards, so their credit limits will be removed from your available credit and utilization figures.

Speaking from past experience, though, it can feel really good to cut up those "subprime" cards.

Thanks for the info. Yes, looking forward to that, but I will be using my office industrial paper shredder on them! 

Starting Scores: 1/1/2016
EX 600 EQ 598 TU 610
Current Fico Scores (9/2016):EX: 674 EQ: 678 TU: 689
Message 3 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It depends on your situation, but if you believe your credit won't suffer without them, then by all means, fire the shredder up!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's not going to hurt your utilization by any meaningful amount I'd close them.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.