Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To close or not to close

tag
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

To close or not to close

My Sams store card was just paid in full with a limit of $5950. I don't anticipate using it anytime soon. Should I close it myself or wait for them to do it?

Thanks!

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: To close or not to close

Do you plan on still having a Sams membership?. If you do it won't hurt to just leave it open and not use it.
Message 2 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If you plan not to ever use it or care for it you vould be proactive and close it. Also the option to use it for utilization. If you just made a nice payment, now would be a great time to call and ask for a cli if thats something youd wantSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 15
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

It's only the store card and my membership has expired. I have not renewed it. However the utilitzation would help as I'm trying to pay down my massive credit card debt. 

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then keep it for now until you have more wiggle room on your other cards to afford the utilization loss from closing it. If they close it in the mean time, oh well.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Sam's Club MC.  I was under the impression that if your membership expired the card is no longer valid.  Don't have any clue why your store card would still be valid.

Message 6 of 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Well, leaving it dormant shouldn't be an issue for about 23 months and then they'll close it for non-use.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nursepower wrote:

My Sams store card was just paid in full with a limit of $5950. I don't anticipate using it anytime soon. Should I close it myself or wait for them to do it?

Thanks!

If they close it for inactivity that does get noted on your CR which could look less-than-stellar for the next 10 years. I agree with AJC on being proactive.

Message 8 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

How long has your membership expired? If not long, reup another year that way youll have another year of at least considering keep it open to help with utilization.
Message 9 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

How many other cards do you have? What are their limits?

I wouldn't pay for membership just to keep a <$6k limit open unless it is one of only a few cards you have. I would just close it if it's not going to be useful to you, and go for CLIs on existing cards perhaps.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.