cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To get American Express Everyday card or to not get American Express everyday..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To get American Express Everyday card or to not get American Express everyday..

My last credit card approved was a Discover IT card over a year ago. Yesterday I applied for electric utlity for my home that was approved. I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to apply for the American Express Everyday or not.  My credit score provided by Discover IT is 751. Not sure what the other 2 scores are.

I currently have ...

Victoria's Secret (2.5k)

Discover IT (3k)

Chase (2.8k)

American Eagle ($300)

BoA BBR (1.5k)

BoA CR (2k)

I only really use the VS and Chase card. Once in a while I'll use the Discover. I try to use the BoA BBR when I can. I'd really like to get the American Express Everyday because (from what I read) if I ever decide to open another card with them, it will start with the date I applied for the 1st american express. I feel like every year that passes, I miss on the opportunity.

What do you think? 

Thank you! :-)

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: To get American Express Everyday card or to not get American Express everyday..

I think you're golden provided there's no hidden baddies and it would help you diversify your cards. Although I believe the score Discover provides is a variation of TU. do you happen to know your EX score?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To get American Express Everyday card or to not get American Express everyday..

please keep in mind that american express no longer backdates

if you still want an amex/ and are interested in the membership rewards program the everyday card has,

the premier rewards gold charge has a 50k point bonus vs the 10k of the everyday card.

i hope you find the card you're looking for and get approved! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

I honestly don't think an American Express can offer you anything that you're not already able to get from the cards you already have. Just something to think about before applying: How will this card help me???
Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Everyday is a very boring card. With your score, you have much better options available to you.
Message 5 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

With your credit profile, I doubt you'll have any problems getting any Amex product you want.

Just remember, there is no longer 'backdating' with Amex, so any accounts you get with them will always report the 'real' account opening date.  The 'Member Since' date on your cards will generally indicate the year you opened your first Amex card, but honestly that generally only matters to you (I've yet to find a cashier impressed with a 1995 'Member Since' date on a card...LOL).

If you're truly interested in MR points over cash back, I would consider getting the EDP (better bonus), and you could downgrade after the first year.  Also, you could apply for the PRG charge card the same day, and most likely it would only be one credit inquiry, and the PRG has a signup bonus of 50,000 MR points if you look around for the promo.  The PRG can also be downgraded after the first year to a gold or a green if you don't find value in paying it's AF.  Keep in mind, the two-for-one with the HP is what most people report, but it is not 'guaranteed'.  I got both my green and BCP with one credit pull, so it worked for me, but as with most things, YMMV. 

Good luck!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!!
Message 7 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My last credit card approved was a Discover IT card over a year ago. Yesterday I applied for electric utlity for my home that was approved. I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to apply for the American Express Everyday or not.  My credit score provided by Discover IT is 751. Not sure what the other 2 scores are.

I currently have ...

Victoria's Secret (2.5k)

Discover IT (3k)

Chase (2.8k)

American Eagle ($300)

BoA BBR (1.5k)

BoA CR (2k)

I only really use the VS and Chase card. Once in a while I'll use the Discover. I try to use the BoA BBR when I can. I'd really like to get the American Express Everyday because (from what I read) if I ever decide to open another card with them, it will start with the date I applied for the 1st american express. I feel like every year that passes, I miss on the opportunity.

What do you think? 

Thank you! :-)

You seem to mention backdating which is no longer valid or correct. Every new Amex account will simply report the date it was opened, no longer will it report the old date of your first card -- that's done with. So you are not missing that opportunity because it no longer exists.

Now, as for the Everyday it seems to have mixed reviews. If you are going to use it as your main card, for basically everything, and  you like travel and MR points, it can be an okay option, although not super competitive. However, the cash value is horrible, so you are basically locked in to using the MR points when you redeem if you want any kind of value for your rewards.

If you're on the fence stick to your gut rather than apping just because. It's not going anywhere and as I said the backdating is gone. Amex really needs to step up their cards, IMO. The ED and BCE are both pretty weak at this point.

Message 8 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Even though ED is my highest CL, the rewards are lackluster and I hit over the 20 transactions a month..  The only real good thing about the ED card is it is a place holder for MR's if you have a gold/plat and want to park them somewhere if you wanna cancel the Plat/Gold/Green due to the AF as the ED has no AF.  There are plenty of better cards out there other than Amex that will offer you better benefits..  The one thing Amex is great on is CL's also other benefits like towing, ,etc that are lesser known.  They do have a niche in the market, but they really need to step up their game IMO with all the money out there to be lent.  Their rewards programs are deffinetly trailing.  

Message 9 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Even though ED is my highest CL, the rewards are lackluster and I hit over the 20 transactions a month..  The only real good thing about the ED card is it is a place holder for MR's if you have a gold/plat and want to park them somewhere if you wanna cancel the Plat/Gold/Green due to the AF as the ED has no AF.  There are plenty of better cards out there other than Amex that will offer you better benefits..  The one thing Amex is great on is CL's also other benefits like towing, ,etc that are lesser known.  They do have a niche in the market, but they really need to step up their game IMO with all the money out there to be lent.  Their rewards programs are deffinetly trailing.  

They need to do something. None of their no AF revolvers, IMO, are competitive or interesting. The BCP/EDP can make sense for some if you want to pay the fees but the no fee options need some work.

Also their actual reward system needs work. Two months to give rewards on purchases is a bit ridiculous. I don't know if that's how it is with ED but it's how it goes with BCE.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.