Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To have and to Hold to death do we part

tag
Seamslong
Valued Member

To have and to Hold to death do we part

looking to get some opinions on my current plans 

I don't have any major purchases planned for at least a year or two would like to buy a house 🏡 depending on where the housing market goes.
But I'm looking to consolidate some cards 💳 and cancel one 

I currently have 4 capitol one cards well 5 Walmart 

which I got through Capitol one acquisitions over the years 

My plan is to take the 3 quick silver cards and combine them into 1

the age of the cards are 

10 years/ 10 years/ 8 years

I also have a pain my rear post bankruptcy Capitol one secured platinum card that is also 10 years old 

200 bucks credit limit.

I want to cancel it, do you think cancelling this card will tank my score? 

Over the years I have inquired with Capitol one on why it hasn't been converted to unsecured and I'm always told it's a "computer decision" I can't request review 

and when I mention how even on the website it says 6 months and then can be considered for non secured status it's been 10 years!!!

no reason is given on why it's still 200 bucks. Currently it's my Hulu card and I pay it off monthly but I just want to be done with this chapter of my life 😩

my current credit cards average age of account is 6 years 6 months 

Looking for suggestions on how impactful this will be to my profile currently at about 700 of course all three bureaus

02CAE81C-0B2D-47FD-AF92-B6EEA82B21A7.png

Remaining Card limit goals:
Capitol One 3,600/2,500/2,300 goal 10k each line or close after buy a home|Discover $9.5k goal 15k | Citibank $6.5k goal 10k | Southwest $8,200 goal 20k |PayPal goal $6.0k goal 10k|Wayfair $2.1k goal $5.0k

Possibly cancelling:
Amex Blue 2k | No credit line increase since inception 2017
Closed accounts
Legacy CC/Capitol One secured 08/2021
Amex 11/2022

Entered the garden on 9/01/2021
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: To have and to Hold to death do we part

@Seamslong wrote:

looking to get some opinions on my current plans 

I don't have any major purchases planned for at least a year or two would like to buy a house 🏡 depending on where the housing market goes.

But I'm looking to consolidate some cards 💳 and cancel one 

I currently have 4 capitol one cards well 5 Walmart 

which I got through Capitol one acquisitions over the years 

My plan is to take the 3 quick silver cards and combine them into 1

the age of the cards are 

10 years/ 10 years/ 8 years At this point in time Capital 1 is not allowing card combinations

I also have a pain my rear post bankruptcy Capitol one secured platinum card that is also 10 years old 

200 bucks credit limit.

I want to cancel it, do you think cancelling this card will tank my score? No it wont tank your score, closed paid as agreeds remain onfile for up to 10 yrs

my current credit cards average age of account is 6 years 6 months 

Message 2 of 9
Seamslong
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply

I wasn't aware that capital one wasn't allowing the combining of lines

it's been a couple years since I spoke to them about it.

at the time I had balances on the cards 

Capitol One 3,600/2,500/2,300 goal 10k each line or close after buy a home|Discover $9.5k goal 15k | Citibank $6.5k goal 10k | Southwest $8,200 goal 20k |PayPal goal $6.0k goal 10k|Wayfair $2.1k goal $5.0k

Possibly cancelling:
Closed accounts
Amex 11/2022

Message 3 of 9
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@Seamslong wrote:

Thanks for the reply

I thought Cap1 allowed you to only hold 2 cards at a time? Am I wrong about this?

SD - Biz -
Message 4 of 9
jcooks
Established Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

@Seamslong wrote:

Thanks for the reply

I thought Cap1 allowed you to only hold 2 cards at a time? Am I wrong about this?

Could be a combination of quicksilver and quicksilver one maybe?

Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@unsungivy wrote:

@Seamslong wrote:

Thanks for the reply

2 rebuilders at a time and a max of 5 overall. Cards that get brought in from purchases they make seem to not be included in the overall 5

Message 6 of 9
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@unsungivy wrote:

2 rebuilders at a time and a max of 5 overall. Cards that get brought in from purchases they make seem to not be included in the overall 5

Just to toss this out there: I've noted before that--in my case, and for unknown reasons--the limit appears to be three.

I've never had any kind of rebuilder card with Capital One, just two Quicksilvers (one Visa, one MC), until they obtained my Walmart Rewards card, which made a total of three. When I tried accepting an offer THEY SHOWED ME, it was immediately denied with "too many Capital One cards" as its reason.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 7 of 9
Seamslong
Valued Member

Yea I only applied for the rebuilder card and maybe 1 other but I'm sure these other we're obtain through acquisitions and when I called them to complain about the same stupid card platinum card 

they offered to switch them to the quicksilver 

one I think was a Sears/Kmart 

one was an old orchard or maybe hsbc card 

i haven't tried for anymore Capitol one cards in the last couple years but when I did try I did get that immediate response of having to many or something like that 

Right now i just wish i could combine them 

Possibly cancelling:
Closed accounts
Amex 11/2022

Message 8 of 9
Seamslong
Valued Member

I ended up canceling that card along with another subprime credit card legacy credit card and it didn’t impact my credit score I have one Amex card i plan to close next month I have two they are 4 years old got them when my bankruptcy was 9 years and some months old and can’t get credit line increase one is 500 the other is 2k im going to close the 500 one

Possibly cancelling:
Closed accounts
Amex 11/2022

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.