Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To many credit cards?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

To many credit cards?

Do you ever feel that you might have to many credit cards with a bunch that you don't use? I've been getting offers in and really don't feel like taking advantage of them. One because I don't want the inquiries and to lower my AAoA.  And two because the cards that I have work well for me. There are a few that I hardly use but I through them into the rotation once in awhile just to give them some use. The extra cards do help keep utilization low though. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Re: To many credit cards?

It's too many once it bothers someone enough to make a post about it. Smiley Wink
  (Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 2 of 17
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

If you think you have too many credit cards - then you probably have too many credit cards!  Someone else just asked a similar question.  If you do not need it  - and/or you aleady have a sound credit plan that demonstrates your increasing credit maturity and worthiness - stick to it!

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 3 of 17
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

My family thinks I have a lot but it saves me money so its worth it. I want to close fingerhut I havent used it in ages but its still open lol. If I can get my sams mastercard fingers crossed i might do a change up and close my barclaycard rewards and my boa card if it ever unsecures lol cause i wont really have any use for them anymore. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 4 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know: outside of my primary use cards of which there are now 4, if I can't drop a recurring bill on a card to keep it active, I'm losing interest in keeping it open.

Unfortunately a lot of my recurring bills are getting consolidated: internet and phone which were two, both got dropped on the business card, and I don't even know precisely where my Zync and USAA cards are now, and likewise 2% > 1% when we're talking quarterly estimated IRS payments at 1.56% fee or whatever so that use case now gone too off the Zync unless I have a non-trivial tax payment again... first world problem to be certain.  Amazon purchase on the Zync occasionally suffices, have to go find the USAA card I guess.  iTunes purchases backed by the DCU card so that's occasional use.  

Meh, after doing this for 2 years it's getting old: pruned Cap 1, maybe I should prune some more but I'll probably keep them open for future FICO purposes under my theory that a static report is a happy report from an underwriting perspective.  Miles to go before we sleep, or something like that.

Or if I'm a little smarter on such things, go create another recurring shipment on a commonly used item from an internet retailer like I did for my BOFA card and my breakfast bar habit.  Better solution all the way around me thinks.

        
Message 5 of 17
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Eh. I have 20 trade lines and 40k plus in credit and I think it's fine but that's just me. I have only three main cards my amex blue, freedom, and barclay financing visa but throw the other 17 in rotation every now and again. Once I have two years of perfect payment history on them I will knock down a couple. My amex green and gold are on the chopping block come December and I closed my Barclays rewards and moved the CL to my financing visa
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 6 of 17
masscredit
Valued Contributor

My personal opinion is if a card doesn't have an annual fee, just keep it open. The $ amount that it adds to total available credit probably does more good than harm. One of my Cap 1 cards gets a lot of use because it's a rewards card. I use my Barclay's Apple financing card for Apple purchases plus I tend to give that more use than the others because I know they like to see use for CLIs.  Target get used for the 5% discount and Walmart because I'm hoping they show me love if I show them some. JCP... they constantly offer discounts when using that card. I do very well shopping there with that one.  

The only other card I'm considering right now is the Barclay's rewards card. They've sent me a pile of pre-selected offers over the last 4-5 weeks.  There is a note on the back of that app that says they would like you to maintain regular use of the account. Account inactivity, which might include three months or longer of non-use of the credit card account may, at their option, result in account closure which in turn will result in forfeiture of the unredeemed points.  

3 months of non-use? That's not to long! 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I do have too many CCs at my hand. I will be gradually getting rid of some of them.

One less card means one less thing to worry about. It also consolidates spending, hence faster reward redemption.

Message 8 of 17
studiogeek
Valued Member

If it sits at $0 balance in your sock drawer unused, whats there to worry about?

Aug 2012 TU/EQ/EX 500's (zero positive credit, one 6 year old CO for $1100) Rebuild->Cap 1 secured $200->TU 610 EQ/EX 640, Shell $500 (cli) $750, Macy's $500, Bloomie's $500 ->(cli $1.2K), Victorias' Secret $750->(cli 1K) (level 2 moves) NFCU Visa Signature $15K/$20K, USAA $4K, Amex Blue $9K/$37K, Amex Costco $10.5K Penfed Visa $2.5K, OCCU Beaver $20K, Amex SP Gold(no limit), Chase PRG 26K ~ MyFico TU775 EQ789 EX766 / $0-$200,000 CL in just 18 months.
Message 9 of 17
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Out of all the card I do have...I have them all SDd expect for one. I just don't feel like keeping track of all these cards.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.