cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To those reporting that NFCU is starting a higher cash back categories program..

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

To those reporting that NFCU is starting a higher cash back categories program..

What kind of info did you get from NFCU? Is it NFCU doing this or VISA Siggy doing thing? I called to inquire about it today while discussing other things about my accounts and the nice ladies knew nothing of it at all. She did say that stuff can be piloted and not all the centers/branches are made aware, but she has heard nothing at all of having any changes/promo's, etc in the cashRewards structures still just 1% back up to $10k then 1.5%. 

So for the few that has posted about this...can you explain it a bit more? Just by invitation only or something? I haven't had my card long so I probably won't be invited if its invite only.

Thanks,

John

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: To those reporting that NFCU is starting a higher cash back categories program..

@j_casteel wrote:

What kind of info did you get from NFCU? Is it NFCU doing this or VISA Siggy doing thing? I called to inquire about it today while discussing other things about my accounts and the nice ladies knew nothing of it at all. She did say that stuff can be piloted and not all the centers/branches are made aware, but she has heard nothing at all of having any changes/promo's, etc in the cashRewards structures still just 1% back up to $10k then 1.5%. 

So for the few that has posted about this...can you explain it a bit more? Just by invitation only or something? I haven't had my card long so I probably won't be invited if its invite only.

Thanks,

John

I think people probably confused the 1.5% thing as new or maybe not knowing you had to spend a certain amount first.  My Partner and I did clear into the 1.5% in 2012 and rode in the 1.5% for about 3 or so months... the only issue I have with it is they can't click on a screen and tell you a. How much you have spent so far. b. If you are in the 1.5%.

They or you, actually have to go through and add up all charges each month to figure out how far away or how much was in the 1.5% category which was quite mind bopggling to me the first couple times I called about it... I just kept saying "This CSR must not know where to go or how to do it (in my head)" HOW in 2012 could they not have a computer system that tracks it, or I mean it does track it so why wiould that be some internal thing you can't look at!!

So to sum up, I know nothing better then the 1% and then 1.5% over the $10k spending.

I really don't see why anyone would apply and want the Platinum signature or what ever it is... it's not better and you pay a fee!

Message 2 of 22
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

Re: To those reporting that NFCU is starting a higher cash back categories program..

I was one of those folks who posted about the bonus categories.  I was mailed a flyer.

No idea how or why I was chosen.  Been with NFCU since Fall of 2011, use my card casually.

Was one of the early folks to get the Visa Signature upgrade notice.

Also have cards with USAA and PenFed so perhaps it's an attempt to lure spending traffic away from those two institutions.

Here's what I posted in my other thread.

-----

(Outside cover)

Indulge your appetite, earn 3% cash back!

Earn 3% cash back when you pay with cashRewards at restaurants.

(First inside cover)

Congratulations!

Account ending: XXXX

You have been selected to participate in our new Bonus Rewards Program.

Under the program, you will receive an exclusive credit card rewards offer from us each quarter in 2013.

(Second inside cover)

Watch the rewards add up!

This winter, we're kicking off the first of four special offer promostions in our new Bonus Rewards program/  This first offer will allow you to earn 3% cash back* every time you use your Navy Federal cashReward card at restaurants and fast food eateries from January 15-March 31, 2013.  That's 3% bach back just for eating at the places you love!

Since you've been selected for the program, you don't have to op in to anything. 

Nor will anything about your card change. 
Just use your card at restaurants between January 15-March31!

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 3 of 22
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

My brother got the flyer, I didn't. So it's defintely targeted to certain audiences.

Message 4 of 22
adavis425
Established Contributor

@CorporalCaptain wrote:

I was one of those folks who posted about the bonus categories.  I was mailed a flyer.

No idea how or why I was chosen.  Been with NFCU since Fall of 2011, use my card casually.

Was one of the early folks to get the Visa Signature upgrade notice.

Also have cards with USAA and PenFed so perhaps it's an attempt to lure spending traffic away from those two institutions.

Here's what I posted in my other thread.

-----

(Outside cover)

Indulge your appetite, earn 3% cash back!

Earn 3% cash back when you pay with cashRewards at restaurants.

(First inside cover)

Congratulations!

Account ending: XXXX

You have been selected to participate in our new Bonus Rewards Program.

Under the program, you will receive an exclusive credit card rewards offer from us each quarter in 2013.

(Second inside cover)

Watch the rewards add up!

This winter, we're kicking off the first of four special offer promostions in our new Bonus Rewards program/  This first offer will allow you to earn 3% cash back* every time you use your Navy Federal cashReward card at restaurants and fast food eateries from January 15-March 31, 2013.  That's 3% bach back just for eating at the places you love!

Since you've been selected for the program, you don't have to op in to anything. 

Nor will anything about your card change. 
Just use your card at restaurants between January 15-March31!

I also received this flyer. I'm wondering if the "four special offer promotions" are categories (like Discover) or something else all together.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 5 of 22
ricefed
Contributor

I got the same flyer last week. My cash rewards card was upgraded to a signature in sept 2012. Ill have had my card 2years next month.
NFCU cash rewards 10,000 -Chase Sapphire Preferred 6,900-Chase Slate 6,000- Amazon 10,000 - Walmart 10,000- lowes 12,000 - Kay jewelers 7,500 - Amex Zync NPSL - CarCare One 500
Message 6 of 22
adavis425
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

Thanks,

John

I think people probably confused the 1.5% thing as new or maybe not knowing you had to spend a certain amount first.  My Partner and I did clear into the 1.5% in 2012 and rode in the 1.5% for about 3 or so months... the only issue I have with it is they can't click on a screen and tell you a. How much you have spent so far. b. If you are in the 1.5%.

They or you, actually have to go through and add up all charges each month to figure out how far away or how much was in the 1.5% category which was quite mind bopggling to me the first couple times I called about it... I just kept saying "This CSR must not know where to go or how to do it (in my head)" HOW in 2012 could they not have a computer system that tracks it, or I mean it does track it so why wiould that be some internal thing you can't look at!!

So to sum up, I know nothing better then the 1% and then 1.5% over the $10k spending.

I really don't see why anyone would apply and want the Platinum signature or what ever it is... it's not better and you pay a fee!

There is no AF for the NFCU cashRewards Signature Visa. I do receive 1% on spending up to $10,000 and 1.5% after that. This new program sounds like it may be on par with Freedom or Discover with rotating categories. I believe Discover has 5% on restaurants this quarter, but I may still use the NFCU Visa a time or two and watch the mail for the next "promotion".

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 7 of 22
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

I'm sad that they didn't send me the offer flyer. Smiley Sad 

I feel left out. LOL.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 22
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I was explaining to the nice lady that I've read several have received letters about it, and it seems like it is sort of like the Discover or Freedom categories, and she said it must not be NFCU but rather Visa Signature instead?? I dunno...I have the Visa Siggy and just have the normal 1% and then 1.5% cashback right now. Maybe they are just sending out to a select few to pilot the new program before allowing everyone have it. I just don't know why the lady I spoke with in the credit dept. knew nothing about it at all.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 9 of 22
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@MsLadyRover wrote:

I'm sad that they didn't send me the offer flyer. Smiley Sad 

I feel left out. LOL.

yes i do too

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.