Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To those who have AMEX Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To those who have AMEX Gold

To all of you who have gotten the AMEX Gold, what did you credit report look like when you applied. I'd prefer people who actually got approved respond. My Experian is 729, I have 100% payment history, all my accounts are in good standing, etc., but my average credit age is only 7 months and I'm worried this might hurt me. All thoughts and opinions are welcome! 

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: To those who have AMEX Gold

I was around 700 when I got mine (I think) with well under 2 years AAoA and a couple of cards < 6 months old.  I think you'll be fine.

Are you pre-approved for the card?  If you're already an Amex cardholder you can go to the card and click "Apply Now".  The text at the top of the page will tell you if you're pre-approved.   Either way, pre-approvals from Amex are solid in my experience.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.55.16 PM.png

Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, do you have any existing products with Amex?

Score is one thing but, Amex looks at the complete picture when evaluating their profile.  I've had the gold and recently cancelled it but, being an existing member it was a SP approval with a thick profile.  

It never hurts more than your ego to apply and potentially get approved though.  Once you're in it's easy to pick up other products as you desire.

What's more important than your AAOA is your actual age of credit.  If your oldest account is well aged then it's less of a problem than say if all of your accounts were in the past 12 months.

Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you pre-qualified for the Gold Card on Amex's website?

Amex is amenable to "thin" credit files so its possible to obtain this card if you have at least a 670 Experian FICO 8 score.

Message 4 of 40
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

To all of you who have gotten the AMEX Gold, what did you credit report look like when you applied. I'd prefer people who actually got approved respond. My Experian is 729, I have 100% payment history, all my accounts are in good standing, etc., but my average credit age is only 7 months and I'm worried this might hurt me. All thoughts and opinions are welcome! 

In 2014 I had two revolving accounts, 6.5 and 1.5 months old (Chase and Discover, toy limits, statement balances reporting but paid in full). I got a mailed targeted offer for PRG (the predecessor of what is now Gold).

My application was pending for about 48 hours but was ultimately approved without my needing to contact Amex.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you perhaps have any clue as to why it is saying,

"Sorry, we were unable to match you with any pre-qualified offers at this time."

The pre-approval tool on their website was working just fine a couple days ago. 

Message 6 of 40
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My AAOA was 1.6yrs. Just closed on my first home at the time. Mortgage score was 783.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 7 of 40
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"Sorry, we were unable to match you with any pre-qualified offers at this time."

Could be timing. I've had offers from Chase just after seeing I had no offers when checking. I don't think it matters much. If you feel it's time to apply and that you have a strong profile - go for it. If you think your profile needs some time or some work, do that instead.

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 8 of 40
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@CramEiko wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Could be timing. I've had offers from Chase just after seeing I had no offers when checking. I don't think it matters much. If you feel it's time to apply and that you have a strong profile - go for it. If you think your profile needs some time or some work, do that instead.

Good Luck!

Compared to other Amex cards and other high-AF cards, Gold is not particularly difficult to get. If the tool was "working" a few days ago in the sense that is showed you any sort of prequal offer for any card, then that is a good sign.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 40
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Let's see... when I got mine, my mortgage was a year old, and I had one card that was 10 months old and several (five?) others that were 3 months old, one of which was an Amex BCE.  I applied for the Gold, Green, and EDP on that same day and all three were approved.  My scores were around 750ish.  This was back in my crazy app spree days.

As I understand it, underwriting on the charge cards is pretty lax since they call in the whole balance every month.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.