Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today was the day, FR from AMEX.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today was the day, FR from AMEX.

I have a green card and BCE. An 18k limit on my AMEX.

I have a 7k balance from a trip this month. I also used it for business purposes this month, I was told to use business cards for business and personal cards for personal "for the future".

So maybe a good sign? They only asked for my two recent bank statments which I have 25k in there and 65k income (self employed. It's actually more like 90-120k, but I wanted to be safe!).

No tax returns needed. They said it was a general FR and will hear back tomorrow or Thursday. 

Business charges triggered it?

Should I be okay?

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Today was the day, FR from AMEX.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a 7k balance from a trip this month. I also used it for business purposes this month, I was told to use business cards for business and personal cards for personal "for the future".

So maybe a good sign? They only asked for my two recent bank statments which I have 25k in there and 65k income (self employed. It's actually more like 90-120k, but I wanted to be safe!).

No tax returns needed. They said it was a general FR and will hear back tomorrow or Thursday. 

Should I be okay?

Sounds like you should be OK.  Bank statements are really basic and it sounds like you have it covered.

Message 2 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sure hope so!

I have a bunch of new INQ and new accounts (about 17k more in credit card accounts this week). So i'm sure that didn't help.

Fingers crossed!!

Message 3 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least the gave you the reason for it.  Keep us posted on results..

Message 4 of 54
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I be okay?

Is the $7k on your green card? What is your typical statement balance on the green card?

Did AMEX tell you to use business cards for business? Do you have a Business AMEX?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, my Blue card caused the FR. My green usually uses 500-1.5k a month. I pay before the statement even cuts. I put about 3k on the card this month, and my statement was last week. PIF. My blue card has the balance.

They said I shouldn't use personal cards for business. I don't have any business cards with AMEX, just personal accounts. It was 3 large business transactions between another company (about 3k) on my blue, so I guess that triggered it. I never thought it would cause problems! I now know to just use my business debit card from now on.

Message 6 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I be okay?

So let me get this straight.  You charged $7000 on your BCE card this month PLUS several $3000 charges?  What is the total balance on your statement? I just want to see why they are so panicky. After all, what is the purpose of an $18,000 REVOLVING limit if you can't use it, and they can't wait and allow you time to make payments. 

How old is the card?  What is the most you charged on it?

Message 7 of 54
j615
Regular Contributor

This is interesting. Like Yes-Its-Me said, please keep us posted. 

Message 8 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, very interesting.  Please keep us posted.  Sounds like they want us to frame it and hang it on the wall! Smiley LOL  I didn't use mine this month at all.  Used a few others and they just keep sending me emails to use "more".  Never problems like this with any of the others.  Chase, Barclay, Citi, Cap One, etc.  All are fantastic.

Message 9 of 54
UncleB
Credit Mentor

It seems American Express is the only card issuer that gets concerned when folks actually *use* their revolving credit line.

It's almost as if they are a charge card company masquerading as a credit card company, but there's no way that could be true...  Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.