Did you mean: 

Too Many Amex - Probably need to Clean House

tag
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

Re: Too Many Amex - Probably need to Clean House

@wasCB14 wrote:

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I'm not really considering closing a card.   I think I'm just going to downgrade the BCP card after the year mark

I was just wondering if anyone saw any other redundancies. 

If you're actually going to spend on BCP, it doesn't take much spend at 6% back (vs. 3%) to merit a reduced $45 AF (vs. no AF). Many people happily pay $95 for BCP.

If you go the MR route, then put your grocery spend on Gold. I keep my BCE only for history and the very infrequent useful offer. ED is for whenever my limited supermarket spend doesn't go on Freedom or Discover.

So are you pretty committed to MRs over cash back?

So when I started back in the credit card reward game, I was going for cash back but I've since transitioned to the points/travel.  So yea, I committed to MR points over cash back

As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 11 of 17
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I have:

Amex Everyday - Opened Oct 2018 - Limit 2500

Blue Cash Preferred - Opened Oct 2018 - Limit 5000 - Annual Fee $45 (Corporate Advantage Program) 

Platinum - Opened Jan 2019 - Annual Fee 400 (Corporate Advantage Program)

Gold - Opened March 2019 0 Annual Fee 150 (Corporate Advantage Program)

Delta Gold Opened March 2019 - Limit 7,5000 - Annual Fee 95 (First year waved)

So I have a few Amex and I'm thinking  I want to downgrade the BCP to BCE. I can keep the Everyday card because there's no annual fee. 

Any thoughts?

Just curious, how does this Corporate Advantage Program work? And for people already have the cards does it work on top of them as well?

I actually don't know if it works if you already have the card.  I'll guess that you need to app for the card through the program but that's truly a guess. I'm sure someone has a more concrete answer. 

Message 12 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I have:

Blue Cash Preferred - Opened Oct 2018 - Limit 5000 - Annual Fee $45 (Corporate Advantage Program) 

So I have a few Amex and I'm thinking  I want to downgrade the BCP to BCE. I can keep the Everyday card because there's no annual fee. 

Any thoughts?

Just out of curiosity—why did you apply for that many in that short span of time?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 13 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I would do nothing for the rest of 2019 (no apps, no closures, no PCs, no CLIs -- with Amex or with any other lender).  In myFICO lingo, go to the garden.  At the end of the year, evaluate the benefit you have gotten from each card and close the ones that have helped you the least.  I think your goal should be to have no more than three cards with Amex.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 14 of 17
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I would do nothing for the rest of 2019 (no apps, no closures, no PCs, no CLIs -- with Amex or with any other lender).  In myFICO lingo, go to the garden.  At the end of the year, evaluate the benefit you have gotten from each card and close the ones that have helped you the least.  I think your goal should be to have no more than three cards with Amex.

Yup, this is basically where I was going with this.  I don't need any more cards at the moment or CLIs.  Thx for the guidance. 

Message 15 of 17
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I have:

Any thoughts?

Just out of curiosity—why did you apply for that many in that short span of time?

Honestly, this came from not knowing exactly what I wanted in terms of rewards.  This is definitely a cautionary plan of mapping out your goals before apping. 

Message 16 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I have:

Any thoughts?

Honestly, this came from not knowing exactly what I wanted in terms of rewards.  This is definitely a cautionary plan of mapping out your goals before apping. 

So, so true. Well lesson-learned, which is always a good thing. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.