Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Cards - Now what? :D

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too Many Cards - Now what? :D

I'm not really sure I understand the advice to close and prune.

If you have a no-annual-fee credit card that you don't use, why not just keep it in your bottom desk drawer and let it sit?  If the bank wants to cancel it, they'll cancel it, but if they don't I'm assuming it helps your credit rating by having an "older" card.   

(I have a Chase Slate card that I can't imagine ever wanting to use again now that I got the "Freedom" cards--unless I'm missing something, I just don't see a downside in moth-balling it.)

Message 21 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi James and Credit! Thank you on your input with AMEX... I did ALOT of research with AMEX and it's 3x increase so I'm quite familiar with that. 

So I have BCP that has $5,000 limit and I plan to request the 3x increase on that after my 61 days which is next month... and if and when I get the $15,000, I'll try for another one in 6 months for $30,000. Then at that point both cards will be close to 13 months of which I will be able to move my limit and I'll just move $5,000 of it to BC and then 6 months again I'll try that BC to gain it's course to $25,000 too Smiley Happy

Great advice! I do like Neiman Marcus and you are soo right I spend 1 moisturizer and its $250 so thats 33% of my limit already lol, but I just pay it in full and I get the bonus points, I want it to be high enough so I can get some Chanel purse $5,500 hehe and also get the points... coz I usually reward myself at least 1 purse a year and instead of putting it in a credit card I'd like to put it in Neiman Card and use the double points to get the $650 shoes from Louboutin lol! Bags and Shoes for this girl...

If they recently gave you just $500 on the BC (this is the old blue cash?) then I wouldn't bank on getting the full 3x CLI on the BCP, as the $500 suggests that they have concerns!

Edit: Oh I see the BCP came second by a few days, so ignore the above!

Message 22 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not really sure I understand the advice to close and prune.

If you have a no-annual-fee credit card that you don't use, why not just keep it in your bottom desk drawer and let it sit?  If the bank wants to cancel it, they'll cancel it, but if they don't I'm assuming it helps your credit rating by having an "older" card.   

(I have a Chase Slate card that I can't imagine ever wanting to use again now that I got the "Freedom" cards--unless I'm missing something, I just don't see a downside in moth-balling it.)

There are downsides that IMO are about equivalent to the advantages of keeping them, small in both cases:

1) Card is still open, and thus should be monitored for fraud and changes by the issuer, e.g. adding fees

2) Contributes to overall CL, which eventually some issuers might deem too high

Message 23 of 48
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I have a slightly different view..... You took the HP for these cards.... Its very likely the Disco will graduate, and then it grows quite nicely...As someone suggested, use it for a subscription or reoccuring charge.. and then PIF (id actually wait for the statement to generate and not pre pay it..) ... Ithe utilization isnt a big issue esp if you have a little padding.. As for Amex... 500 is a we really dont trust you... like Optima type "we dont trust you" level... but if you have another revolver with them... with even a 1k limit... it too can probably grow.. Id be more for sock drawing cards that dont have an AF... let them close on their own if its unmanagable, but use the Disco and AE ... youll save some HP in the process.... If i were to cut stuff. it be store cards.....

As always YMMV

-J

Message 24 of 48
Yj002
Established Member

If you already established credit profile then close out your secured card. Also, never ever close the card you first opened because it will affect the duration of your average credit profile. Also, I would close Amex Platinum since it is a charge card and it won't help you with your overall credit profile building. One other option, use your Amex Platinum heavily and pay it off on-time each month so you would be able to app for Amex's credit cards in the future. If they trust you, they tend to give out generous credit limits. Good luck!

Message 25 of 48
Kenro
Regular Contributor

I have 13-15k revolving spend  a month on CC. Have no desire to use Amex Plat as I'd lose so much money on rewards. My limits are actually not enough and they keep hammering my credit score. I have 50k on Ritz and 25k on Prestige. I actually have to pay Prestige early sometimes way before due date and I dont like doing that. I am not one of those pay before closing, I like to keep cash in the account for as long as I can.

I need a card with 130-150k credit limit to make me happy. I am pretty far away from that for now.

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yj002 wrote:

If you already established credit profile then close out your secured card. Also, never ever close the card you first opened because it will affect the duration of your average credit profile. Also, I would close Amex Platinum since it is a charge card and it won't help you with your overall credit profile building. One other option, use your Amex Platinum heavily and pay it off on-time each month so you would be able to app for Amex's credit cards in the future. If they trust you, they tend to give out generous credit limits. Good luck!

Thanks for your input, I actually like my AMEX platinum and I just paid the hefty $450 AF Smiley Happy and received the 100,000 bonus points so hopefully by end of this year and mid next year, I will have enough accumulated points for our annual vacation for family of 4. 

I already closed Discover and its so true that if Im already getting limit $5,000 here and there I wont need $300 secured card on my profile. I did keep Lowes since I have heard that , it will grow significantly (sooner than later I hope) since I have lots of remodeling plans for our house.

Thanks again!

Message 27 of 48
BirchBarlow
Contributor

@Yj002 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does a closed account not stay on your report for ten years?  If so, how does closing an account lower your AAoA?

Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BirchBarlow wrote:

@Yj002 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does a closed account not stay on your report for ten years?  If so, how does closing an account lower your AAoA?

I dont think close account lowers your AAoA... I think it's all included except CA... but this wont matter much, close or open because I only had it for 1 month, and really I hate to keep track of something I know I wouldn't need. 

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BirchBarlow wrote:

@Yj002 wrote:

closed accounts stay for 10 years.

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.