cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Credit Cards With Balances! A lil Overwhelming!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too Many Credit Cards With Balances! A lil Overwhelming!

I'm certainly no expert in these matters, however it would appear that in the 8 months since you first asked for help, stating you don't know how you got in this prediciment... you've received some CLIs on the old cards, opened two new accounts and owe approximatedly $2,000 more than you did back in July.  This is a help-based forum, so I will temper my remarks by simply asking... are you serious about reducing your debt?  You don't accomplish that by opening new accounts and maxing out new CLIs.  You need to "just say no" to using the cards, apping for new ones.  FOCUS on paying them down.  I've heard of "addition by subtraction", but never subtraction by addition.  You're headed for trouble if you don't exercise some control here.
Message 51 of 98
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Oh yes i am super serious about getting these cards paid. I have since cut up both Cap 1 cards, Chase BP and my Walmart CC, and i am thinking about cutting my Truliant FCU card as well. This is best option to keep me from using them until i can get them close to zero!

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 52 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

(edited)

Please keep posts friendly, supportive and constructive.

-Scamp, Moderator

Message Edited by Scamp on 03-06-2009 10:05 AM
Message 53 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

(If OP is serious), time to start using the powers of the computer to make money, (instead). 
Message Edited by Scamp on 03-06-2009 10:07 AM
Message 54 of 98
marty56
Super Contributor

Actually the OP is valuable member of the forum who has helped people here.

Many people here have had to deal with massive credit card debt that in some cases took years to PIF.  It took me 5 years to pay about 70k off and I wish I had known about this forum when I started.   

Message Edited by llecs on 03-06-2009 01:10 PM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 55 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have $700 to throw at cards, I'm wondering if you should perhaps pay off the Walmart. That way you would have a card with 0 balance (plus 0 on the Macy's that your mom will pay), and it might be a confidence builder to see those "$0 owed" with those cards. You could then pay the minimums on the other cards. I'm not sure how much extra money you'd have left after that, but you could try to pay off your Chase card as well - then you'd have 3 cards with $0 balance. After that, I guess you'd have to prioritize based on interest rates and other considerations. I'm such many other forum members can help you out much better than I can - I just know that for me, having a few card with no balance would be huge in mentally working through the issue. Good luck!
Message 56 of 98
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If you have $700 to throw at cards, I'm wondering if you should perhaps pay off the Walmart. That way you would have a card with 0 balance (plus 0 on the Macy's that your mom will pay), and it might be a confidence builder to see those "$0 owed" with those cards. You could then pay the minimums on the other cards. I'm not sure how much extra money you'd have left after that, but you could try to pay off your Chase card as well - then you'd have 3 cards with $0 balance. After that, I guess you'd have to prioritize based on interest rates and other considerations. I'm such many other forum members can help you out much better than I can - I just know that for me, having a few card with no balance would be huge in mentally working through the issue. Good luck!

I agree with this plan. It gives the quickest payoff on a few of the cards. This could be all the more motivation to hanker down on the other cards.  

Schoolbuskid, I wish you luck and remember sock drawer these cards!

Message 57 of 98
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Yea that sounds like a pretty good plan, i can totally understand the mentality behind that. like i said in another thread i am currently only using two cards, one which is about to be sent to the grave like alot of the other ones!

Thanks for your help once again!

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 58 of 98
Scamp
Valued Contributor

(two snarky, unhelpful posts removed)

Okey-dokey - one more time:

Please keep posts on-topic, constructive, friendly, supportive and respectful.

Sermonizing and/or passing judgment on OP for being (*gasp*) humanly imperfect do NOT count as on-topic, constructive, friendly, supportive and respectful posts.

Last time I checked, nobody in here was sitting on three 850's and a past completely mistake-free in all respects, so please refrain from chucking asparagus at OP from glass houses.

Message Edited by Scamp on 03-07-2009 10:09 AM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 59 of 98
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

Hey dont get discouraged from the critisim. If you have $700 to pay towards cc, first single out the higher % cards and the cc with small cl. It will help your overall utility to have a couple of cards with a 0 balance so I would do the following.

Cap 1-1100/1037

Cap 1-1100/1050

Chase BP-1700/1593

Chase-200/180 pay this balance to 0

Kay-1000/858

Truliant FCU-1500/1460

Walmart-700/622 use the remaining 520 and pay this down, leaving you with $102 balance

Bank of the Carolinas-1000/980

Macys-100/65

That leaves you with 5 cc with balances instead of 7. Get on a monthly budget and pay above your minumum payment every month on time. Whats your minimum payment on these 5 cards? Depending on what it is pay $50 a month to each card, or more if you can afford it. STOP using the cc because you will soon drown yourself in debt. I'm young too so I understand how easy it is to get into this situation but you have to focus and stick to your goal---to pay these cards off.

Message 60 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.