Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too early for a CLI?

tag
Jatindrj
Valued Member

Too early for a CLI?

I got a CapOne card last year with a 3k limit and no increase yet. In the past couple months, I also got a Chase Slate 2.5k and then a Discover More(?) 1.5k. I'm just wondering if or when I should try and get an increase.
Amex BCE - 15.9k, QuickSilver - 8k, Freedom - 5k, Discover It - 7.5k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Too early for a CLI?

You can certainly ask, but Capital One is not known for being particularly generous with CLIs.

Message 2 of 8
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Cap One is not very cli friendly at all. I'm not 100% sure on this but it is my understanding that they do not currently accept customer initiated clis. Since you've had the card for awhile I guess it couldn't hurt to try but it is very unlikely that they will be able/willing to do anything for you.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 3 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Jatindrj wrote:
I got a CapOne card last year with a 3k limit and no increase yet. In the past couple months, I also got a Chase Slate 2.5k and then a Discover More(?) 1.5k. I'm just wondering if or when I should try and get an increase.

CapOne won't give you a CLI if you got it last century. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 8
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Jatindrj wrote:

CapOne won't give you a CLI if you got it last century. 

Lol yeah I'm still waiting after 3+ years 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 5 of 8
Jatindrj
Valued Member

Figures. I guess I'll give it a try anyway. What'a chases and discovers stand on it? I saw an option to request an increase on discovers site but when I clicked on it it said unavailable.

Message 6 of 8
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Chase is always a hard pull unless you call the executive office and can coerce them to do a soft.

Discovers luv button is a soft pull and their system will counter offer if you are not eligible for the full amount you request. If you are not eligible for a sp cli you will get an error message telling you to call in when you press the luv button

Edit- since you got an error message from discover it means you aren't eligible for a sp cli. Have you had the account for less than six months? If not- i'm pretty sure that discover will not grant a CLI unless you've had the card for at least six months.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Message 7 of 8
Jatindrj
Valued Member

Ok thanks. Yea my account is only on its second month so Ill try iafter the 6 months if I dont get an automatic. One last question, how are limits decided? I was surprised to get a 3k limit from CapOne on my first card but more surprised that the two following were lower than that.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.