Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many Cap 1 accounts?

tag
CreditKick
Valued Member

Re: Too many Cap 1 accounts?

@OmarGB9 wrote:

You can only have 2 cards with Capital One, so yes, you would need to close one of your two secured cards to qualify/prequalify for another. 

I have 5.  I keep wondering about this......

Message 11 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

DPs for the limit are all over the place. It seems to just be profile specific I guess.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 21
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

@CreditKick wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

You can only have 2 cards with Capital One, so yes, you would need to close one of your two secured cards to qualify/prequalify for another. 

I have 5.  I keep wondering about this......

I have 3 so its safe to say that more than 2 is doable. Maybe its 2 within a certain time frame?

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 13 of 21
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@Scottie2014 wrote:

"Based on your Pre-Approval form information, there are too many Capital One accounts" 

this was the messsge I received when I did the pre approval check with capital one. 

I have two cards with them. Secured cc opened last December and another secured cc opened this February. 

do I just need to wait 6 or so months or should I close out one of the secured cc from capital one to better qualify

This to support the earlier post about Cap One now only allowing 2 Personal cards.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/capital-one-application-and-welcome-bonus-rules/

And on a side note I'll assume that since you just got two secured cards from them that you're currently either building or rebuilding your credit. If so since you just got both of those secured cards within the past 6 months I'd wait a while and build a history with them and a credit file. Otherwise I seriously doubt that closing one would still Pre-Approve you with them for anything more than another secure card at this point in time.

Message 14 of 21
CreditKick
Valued Member

@bigseegar wrote:

@Scottie2014 wrote:

"Based on your Pre-Approval form information, there are too many Capital One accounts" 

this was the messsge I received when I did the pre approval check with capital one. 

I have two cards with them. Secured cc opened last December and another secured cc opened this February. 

do I just need to wait 6 or so months or should I close out one of the secured cc from capital one to better qualify

This to support the earlier post about Cap One now only allowing 2 Personal cards.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/capital-one-application-and-welcome-bonus-rules/

And on a side note I'll assume that since you just got two secured cards from them that you're currently either building or rebuilding your credit. If so since you just got both of those secured cards within the past 6 months I'd wait a while and build a history with them and a credit file. Otherwise I seriously doubt that closing one would still Pre-Approve you with them for anything more than another secure card at this point in time.

Maybe this is a fairly new rule..... I'll add my dp's just cuz..

I have a qs1, 2 qs, and 2 platinum.  They were all opened in a 9 month frame between October 2014 and July 2015.  They kept saying yes, so I kept applying.  Cls are, respectively, 7k, 6k, 10k, 10k, and 5k.  The 7k qs1 was 12, and was cut due to lack of usage.   With this whole 2 cards thing coming up multiple times, I feel kinda resigned that I have further cuts coming.....

Message 15 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditKick wrote:

@bigseegar wrote:

@Scottie2014 wrote:

Maybe this is a fairly new rule..... I'll add my dp's just cuz..

I have a qs1, 2 qs, and 2 platinum.  They were all opened in a 9 month frame between October 2014 and July 2015.  They kept saying yes, so I kept applying.  Cls are, respectively, 7k, 6k, 10k, 10k, and 5k.  The 7k qs1 was 12, and was cut due to lack of usage.   With this whole 2 cards thing coming up multiple times, I feel kinda resigned that I have further cuts coming.....

In 2014/2015, you could have up to 5. Since you got those back then, I would assume you're "grandfathered" in. I feel like now a days you're limited to 2, maybe 3.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 16 of 21
Trini88
Established Contributor

@Scottie2014 wrote:

I get the same message for having a Quicksilver and SavorOne however my husband is instantly preapproved for another Capital One card (I checked last month) and he already has a Quicksilver and Quicksilver One. 

Goal Cards:
Message 17 of 21
numba1fan
Regular Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

That is not true. I have 3 capital one cards, and just got approved for a 4th. 

Message 18 of 21
numba1fan
Regular Contributor

I have two quicksilvers and a savorone. First quicksilver was opened in 2017, second in 2018. Savor one was opened in january of this year, and I just got approved for the walmart card .... so you can definitely have more than 2. It must vary from person to person.

Message 19 of 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@numba1fan wrote:

I have two quicksilvers and a savorone. First quicksilver was opened in 2017, second in 2018. Savor one was opened in january of this year, and I just got approved for the walmart card .... so you can definitely have more than 2. It must vary from person to person.

As with all things, there will always be exceptions. Some people skirt by and are able to have 3 cards. There are DPs of this as well. It's profile specific.

And the Walmart card doesn't count towards the limit, as I mentioned above. 

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.