Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many cash back cards ?!

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Too many cash back cards ?!

@kdm31091 wrote:
Discover and Freedom certainly do overlap throughout the year. During the same quarters not usually. I meant during the year. just to be personally its redundant to have two of basically the same card but YMMV and a Freedom is enhanced with CSP as I mentioned originally. Otherwise tho, no real point in having both.

You can close the BOA without caring about the AAOA. Its unaffected by closing accounts.

Why would OP use the cash rewards for groceries when they have a Double Cash at 2 percent for everything? The gas at 3 percent is an edge for BOA but its not gonna add up to much more unless your gas spend is really high.

That means they don't overlap

Overlap means, if you pull up to the gas pump and you could use either card on the same day, THEN they would overlap. Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Discover and Freedom certainly do overlap throughout the year. During the same quarters not usually. I meant during the year. just to be personally its redundant to have two of basically the same card but YMMV and a Freedom is enhanced with CSP as I mentioned originally. Otherwise tho, no real point in having both.

You can close the BOA without caring about the AAOA. Its unaffected by closing accounts.

Why would OP use the cash rewards for groceries when they have a Double Cash at 2 percent for everything? The gas at 3 percent is an edge for BOA but its not gonna add up to much more unless your gas spend is really high.

Bofa for groceries actually sounds like a better deal then double cash since with Bofa its 2% right off the door instead of that 1% when you buy 1% when you pay BS ! I honestly have a specific spending for most of them , Bofa is kind of the ugly kid in my wallet cause it gets used rarely and only when discover and freedom are not in gas categories ..... 

Message 12 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

*shrug I just find them redundant for someone to both have. The benefits overlap during the year. Others are happy to have both. I simply don't want to have that many cards so redundant cards are the first to go for me ( I did have a Freedom before).

And the Freedom categories do tend to be more limiting IME at least with the online shopping quarter and the home improvement (only Lowes with freedom)
Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase slate is a card that really makes no sense once you abused the BT offer Smiley Tongue I'm thinking about closing it once I pay off the BT and rolling the cl to my freedom or CSP 

Message 14 of 33
Runitup
Regular Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yes 2% on everything but assumes you PIF.  I want my rewards at time of purchase, no catches like DC.  Most of my spending is on groceries and gas anyway so I guess it's a YMMV thing.  I'm also a little partial seeing as I have $30k in limits with BoA.  

Message 15 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Well I'm no huge fan of the 1+1 thing w Double Cash either. Depends on perspective I guess. Clearly OP has some overlapping cards no matter what and could trim some fat if desired.
Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Well I'm no huge fan of the 1+1 thing w Double Cash either. Depends on perspective I guess. Clearly OP has some overlapping cards no matter what and could trim some fat if desired.

I PC'd to the double cash because it was either canceling my diamond Preffered or double cash so I went with double cash, the rewards structure really sucks! 

Message 17 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You could consider a Quicksilver. Slightly lower rewards but much more straightforward. Redeem any amount and post instantly. 1.5% right away and period. Don't have to PIF to get rewards instantly.
Message 18 of 33
Runitup
Regular Contributor

Yup, like the QS or just app for the SM card and have the rest as backups.  Oh wait, that would be counterproductive to the OP, lol.  

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love all my cards. I lov my BCP for 6% groceries. I got my EDP because I will actually meet the BCP threshold of 6k, and EDP will take on overflow, in addition to everyday purchases 1.5. I lov lov lov my discover, I get so much cashback for a card with no annual fees but only  atoy limit. Enter freedom stage left. Not exact ally the same, but similar and generous limits. CSP, I just made my bonus spend and should gets some points next week!

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.