Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many open accounts? :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Too many open accounts? :(

@NRB525 wrote:

Well, you just got DC so it's not been a factor yet. When you start getting denials on cards you really want, where the denial letter calls out that "too many cards" as a reason, then you need to look seriously at it.

Until then, you'll have your work cut out for you finding ANY cards you don't already have Smiley Happy

Once i pay off slate i want to move the cl to my saphire and close the slate and also move my younger freedom cl onto my old one (used to be something else that was pcd on me, so thats how i ended up with two freedoms) and this way i will get rid of 2 cards and still keep my current cl with chase.

Message 11 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@notalemming wrote:

Would someone please explain to me why people have so many credit cards?  It seems to me that it would be hard to keep up with all the due dates, etc.  I have two, one World Mastercard and one Visa Signature.  On Credit Karma, it did say on my report that I had a low number of accounts, but my FICO is 834, so I guess it is not that bad.

well, I can't speak for anyone else, but back not too many years ago when the CCC were handing out limits like candy, in order to have $125k of open balances, I had to have a few cards Smiley Tongue

And after looking at CK I consider it something of a joke. It survives on marketing dollars from credit card applications. Is there a connection to suggesting 22+ cards gets an A grade? I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but maybe someone can see a pattern here...

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 24
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@notalemming wrote:

Would someone please explain to me why people have so many credit cards?  It seems to me that it would be hard to keep up with all the due dates, etc.  I have two, one World Mastercard and one Visa Signature.  On Credit Karma, it did say on my report that I had a low number of accounts, but my FICO is 834, so I guess it is not that bad.

Why do people chew gum? Why is one potato chip not enough? I don't know. But depletion probably kicks in after a while.

Message 13 of 24
newhis
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@notalemming wrote:

well, I can't speak for anyone else, but back not too many years ago when the CCC were handing out limits like candy, in order to have $125k of open balances, I had to have a few cards Smiley Tongue

And after looking at CK I consider it something of a joke. It survives on marketing dollars from credit card applications. Is there a connection to suggesting 22+ cards gets an A grade? I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but maybe someone can see a pattern here...

There is no way that I can handle 22+ cards.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@notalemming wrote:

It's good that you know your limits.

Personally, I handle over 20 credit cards between the wife and I.

Message 15 of 24
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@newhis wrote:

That's the thing, I handle DW cards also. We have 5 each right now, thinking of getting 8 each.

Message 16 of 24
Chris679
Established Contributor

Message 17 of 24
Chris679
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@notalemming wrote:

I never thought about it but you are absolutely right.  They have every thing to gain by encouraging people to apply for more cards and getting the kick backs.  

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@newhis wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@notalemming wrote:

I find it quite easy managing all my cards and my wifes, most of them are under one login account, like 4 of my citi cards and 5 of my chase cards so with just 15 secs i can check almost 9 cards to see whats going on, its not hard at all for me, i check them all once a week and make any payments necessary before the statement cuts, i actually kinda like it,

Message 19 of 24
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I find it quite easy managing all my cards and my wifes, most of them are under one login account, like 4 of my citi cards and 5 of my chase cards so with just 15 secs i can check almost 9 cards to see whats going on, its not hard at all for me, i check them all once a week and make any payments necessary before the statement cuts, i actually kinda like it,

That's a good way to do things. I'll have to apply for more cards with Chase, Amex and BofA.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.