Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many store cards?

tag
RickyRay
New Contributor

Re: Too many store cards?

I seen your post on here from last year, I have a question that maybe you can offer some advice on...tried before with no luck, So give me your best opinion, My situation:

I have 11 credit/catalog account cards. The first one is 9 months old, and the other 10 are only seven moths old (the 10 are all from comenity bank store cards.  I dont have a visa/mastercard, none of those good cards. I started rebuilding credit after IDENTITY theft. Now my credit reports are clean, except for a few inquiries that I am still working on getting removed.......No derogs, no lates, nothing bad at all. But did I get to many?  Most were inquired with soft pulls. But I think I hurt my chances of getting any high end prime card like visa/ mastercard or discover or amex. The 11 accounts are the only thing reporting now...thats it nothing else. 9 only have $250 CL and two have only $200CL. I do keep my balances under 25% and pay off alot. But my scores are all around 619 now (Much better than in the 400s as before). Do I have to many? Should I close some of them or just let them age a couple of years? Since thats all I have. The are 4 that can be graduated to Visa's after 1 year of good history on them, or so the credit department told me. Should I just wait on that and then close the ones that are not really going no where? I more or less started from scatch on this and Im 48 years old now, So really did not have much choice for rebuilding credit. So what would you do in my situation? I am not worried about getting a home loan becouse now my reports are clean I can always use my Native American Indian tribe to get the 184 loan for a home, But I do want to buy a new car soon, and I know that I need good credit for that. But just having all these store/catalog cards I dont think will do it. Will I be stuck at this credit level from now on?  Do you half to have a visa/mastercard to get a good score?  Anyway.. any advice on my situation would be great. Thanks in advance.

Well I don't have a logo, so I will just use @#@
Message 21 of 23
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

RickyRay, I would recommend CapOne card to you. Once you get one visa or MasterCard you would be able to get more after 6-12 months of the first one. Apply for a Platnium or Newcomer card. If you are not approved then you might have to take the secured card route.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 22 of 23
RickyRay
New Contributor

Ok, Thanks for the info.

Well I don't have a logo, so I will just use @#@
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.