Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much new credit?

tag
jamevfan
Frequent Contributor

Too much new credit?

Im currently in the garden but may have over app'd last week (if thats a term) i had 2 apps still pending which 1 called today and advised i was approved

for the

Victoria Secret card with a 250SL

Last week i already appd and recieved several denials but was approved for

CO QS1-500SL

Walmart store card- 500SL

Firestone- 800SL

Kays Jeweler- 1650SL with 20% down

Possibly a Kohls card thats still pending

I already had the

CO secured CC-200CL (4 months old)

and Fingerhut acct thats 8 months old (my oldest most positive line)

I dont think i will end up keeping the Firestone just because of how i hear it reports (or doesnt report) to the bureau...

however after the 2 yr mark i plan on phasing out the fingerhut, possibly the Kays and the Firestone card  if I dont get rid of it sooner...

for store cards indefinitley wanted the walmart, paypal, and best buys cards but will deal mostly with Regular credit cards with better rates and terms when my file matures, Victoria Secret is a must have for me as well and Kohls if im approve for store cards so this was a learning experience for me as well as my first ever app spree.

Current Ficos as of 01/2017 Equifax 640, Transunion 690 Experian 690 Mortgage middle score of 677
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Re: Too much new credit?

Maybe not to much credit.

If you are rebuilding (and it sounds like you are) I would just let your accounts age and later down the road enjoy the fruits of you labor. 

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 2 of 22
jamevfan
Frequent Contributor

i am rebuilding but didnt want to have too to where i cant manage them all, but apping can be so addicting. I will garden what i have for the next 6-12 months and see how my scores and files improve. Im also disputing some key things that are currently hurting my score and will just focus on that from here on.

Thanks

Current Ficos as of 01/2017 Equifax 640, Transunion 690 Experian 690 Mortgage middle score of 677
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on your approval amounts and the cards you went for it'll be easy to get out of the addicting stage. App for citi. Sometimes a denial helps.

You have enough new accounts and I wouldn't rush your process.
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Based on your approval amounts and the cards you went for it'll be easy to get out of the addicting stage. App for citi. Sometimes a denial helps.

lol I'm so glad you posted this... on such a role lately I keep getting itches to snag an Amex and give BofA one more try for a Cash Rewards but...must....resist!

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Firestone card, and it reports to the credit bureaus monthly. As a matter of fact, it started reporting my bal before I even got the card, because I took the approval print out to the repair/tire shop the day after my approval.

So I definitely would hold onto it for any repairs or tires you may need in the future. Because that can be a lifesaver. Better than paying out of pocket. Or charging your other credit cards.
Message 6 of 22
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow!! That's some serious, slap me in the face and sucker punch me tough love!! "App for Citi." Lol

But I get what your saying. :-)

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 22
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@jamevfan wrote:

Im currently in the garden but may have over app'd last week (if thats a term) i had 2 apps still pending which 1 called today and advised i was approved

for the

Victoria Secret card with a 250SL

Last week i already appd and recieved several denials but was approved for

CO QS1-500SL

Walmart store card- 500SL

Firestone- 800SL

Kays Jeweler- 1650SL with 20% down

Possibly a Kohls card thats still pending

I already had the

CO secured CC-200CL (4 months old)

and Fingerhut acct thats 8 months old (my oldest most positive line)

I dont think i will end up keeping the Firestone just because of how i hear it reports (or doesnt report) to the bureau...

however after the 2 yr mark i plan on phasing out the fingerhut, possibly the Kays and the Firestone card  if I dont get rid of it sooner...

for store cards indefinitley wanted the walmart, paypal, and best buys cards but will deal mostly with Regular credit cards with better rates and terms when my file matures, Victoria Secret is a must have for me as well and Kohls if im approve for store cards so this was a learning experience for me as well as my first ever app spree.

You may want to consider keeping Kay's and Firestone. Here's why:

Kay's grows with you. My Kay's has grown to 6,000 credit limit. I don't EVER see myself using that much at Kay's, so it becomes a great uti buffer. 

Firestone reports like all the other major credit cards. You may be reading some old outdated info about Firestone when they used to report "usage" as high credit limit. That's no longer accurate info.  Also, they ALWAYS have a 0% promo same as cash when you spend $299 or more for 6 months. So you can pay for a new set of 4 tires over 6 months. Pretty cool if you ask me:-)

Your cards are VERY similar to what I started out with. I already closed most of the cards you mentioned. Garden and you will have an excellent credit future. 

Best credit wishes to you:-)

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 22
jamevfan
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone! Great advice and insight from you all, it will help me decide where to go from here. I will stay in the garhden and just see where what i have takes me, i was reading a lot on kays and firestone after i appd and was approved and the complaints scared me lol. I will test the wayers and be diligent and report back on my journey

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good advice here. Yes, come join us in the garden and use your accounts wisely. Everything will get better. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.