Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Credit Unions's Credit Card Products

tag
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Top Credit Unions's Credit Card Products

I was just thinking of what CU's offer the best credit card products. This probably falls under two categories, lower APRs and rewards.

In the rewards category, I don't think anyone can beat PenFed's Platinum Rewards Visa, Cash Rewards, and Travel Rewards cards all at roughly 5%/5pts.

While NavyFed CU offers a range of reward cards, all are in the 1%-2% range. In this range, I'd certainly choose them over a Cap1 rewards card simply because they're from a CU, but PenFed still tops them %-wise.

In the low APR category, I'd put SDFCU's EMV Visa Platinum card at 6.99%. They have an EMV chip, no annual fee, no foreign transaction free, and no balance transfer fee.

DCU and Affinity, two other often praised CU's offer CC products with no AF and no BT (not sure about the FTF), but their lowest APR's are around 8.5%/8.65%.

Yes there are plenty of CU's that offer decent CC products, but does anyone know of others they think rank better?

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ElCamino
Contributor

Re: Top Credit Unions's Credit Card Products

Fort Knox Credit Union offers a similar card to the Pen Fed Cash Rewards Card, it gives you 5% CB on gas, but it will also give you 1% on all other purchases.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 2 of 8
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Fort Knox has some great products including their platinum card. Thanks for showing me this. Definitely goes on the list of possibilities for next year.

9.25% APR on their low end, but still decent compared to DCU and Affinity. the 5% CB on gas alone would make this card worth it esspecially if they're not as lame as PenFed with their ubiquitous "debt pyramiding" denial reasoning.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Message 3 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Fort Knox has some great products including their platinum card. Thanks for showing me this. Definitely goes on the list of possibilities for next year.

9.25% APR on their low end, but still decent compared to DCU and Affinity. the 5% CB on gas alone would make this card worth it esspecially if they're not as lame as PenFed with their ubiquitous "debt pyramiding" denial reasoning.

Yes but Plat Rewards is still better unless you really need the cash back immediately, rather than getting 5K points to get a $50 Visa debit.   But more choices are good!

Message 4 of 8
ElCamino
Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Yes but Plat Rewards is still better unless you really need the cash back immediately, rather than getting 5K points to get a $50 Visa debit.   But more choices are good!

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand getting cashback in the form of gift cards or pre-paid cards. If you use them for your next purchase, you're not earning any additional cashback from them. When I get my 5% CB as a statement credit, my next gas purchase is free, but still earns me 5% CB. Like I said, could just be me. Smiley Happy

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 5 of 8
mojobones89
Contributor

@ElCamino wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand getting cashback in the form of gift cards or pre-paid cards. If you use them for your next purchase, you're not earning any additional cashback from them. When I get my 5% CB as a statement credit, my next gas purchase is free, but still earns me 5% CB. Like I said, could just be me. Smiley Happy

what cc r u talking about penfed plat or Fort knox plat?

Message 6 of 8
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Platinum Rewards from PenFed must be redeemed through their rewards website which includes visa gift cards.

Fort knox, from what I've ready, is straight statement CB. In this regard, the Fort Knox card as a gas car wins hands down.

however, if you plan on using the card for anything other than gas, the PenFed card is a better option. 1% rewards on other purchases and no FTF beat out the Fort Knox card.

Ironically, the Fort Knox cards claim no FTF, but there's a rather lengthy list of countries where their card use is banned.

Message 7 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@ElCamino wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Yes, there is truth to that, so I guess it depends on the mix of other cards.  For me, the 3% on groceries (and internationally as well) is much more significant than losing CB on the CB.  (And, less useful to me but maybe to others, you can also get giftcards at a slight discount, e,g, 2,400 points for a $25 card, which also mitigates the loss, and can of course be used on non-gas purchases)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.