Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Slate CL and close it?

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Transfer Slate CL and close it?

Now that there's no longer 0% on the Slate, it doesn't seem to serve as a BT card anymore. I also got a SoFi loan to consolidate the high interest cards into one quick pay-down loan, so I have no balances across any cards. 

What to do with the Slate? Transfer the the CL to the CSP and close it so that years down the road, if I ever want to re-open it, that "new account" 0% option would be available again?

I can't think of a reason to keep it as is and keep it open...?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Transfer Slate CL and close it?

Sounds like a good plan to me. If i were in your situation, thats what id do.. Only use of a Slate is a BT IMHO.... Midas well put that CL where it is a bit more useful. 

Message 2 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@skigirl916 wrote:

Now that there's no longer 0% on the Slate, it doesn't seem to serve as a BT card anymore. I also got a SoFi loan to consolidate the high interest cards into one quick pay-down loan, so I have no balances across any cards. 

What to do with the Slate? Transfer the the CL to the CSP and close it so that years down the road, if I ever want to re-open it, that "new account" 0% option would be available again?

I can't think of a reason to keep it as is and keep it open...?

That's one good option.   The other would be to PC, but then you wouldn't be able to get a signup bonus for that product.   If you need to preserve the history or the amount of TLs for some reason, PC would be good.   Otherwise, I think consolidating and closing sounds good.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any other Chase credit cards? If so, you can move your CL from the Slate to something else. I think you may have to leave  $500 on the Slate but I'm not 100% sure. You can always call Chase to confirm.

Good luck!!

Message 4 of 7
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

You can do a product transfer to the Chase Freedom card or the Chase Freedom Unlimited. You will get the same credit card number. It's just a product change. I would not change to the CSP or the CSR because you will not get the bonus for those cards. I changed my Slate to a Freedom with no problem and was still carrying a balance on it. It's not a new account bringing down my AAoA. It was easier to give up the cash back bonus to a card that earns UR points. Will apply for the CSR when I know I will get it outright  and can get the bonus.

Message 5 of 7
noobody
Established Contributor

Keep it to get FICO score or pc to freedom/FU or move credit line to other Chase product.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would product change to the freedom or freedom unlimited.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.