Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Amex MRs to Virgin Atlantic to redeem on ANA

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Transferring Amex MRs to Virgin Atlantic to redeem on ANA

Anyone do this before? I'm tyring to get first class redemptions NYC to Tokyo roundtrip but doesn't seem like much availability. Wondering if maybe they hold back award seats until close in like some other airlines?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Transferring Amex MRs to Virgin Atlantic to redeem on ANA

@red259 wrote:

Anyone do this before? I'm tyring to get first class redemptions NYC to Tokyo roundtrip but doesn't seem like much availability. Wondering if maybe they hold back award seats until close in like some other airlines?

Haven't thought of it.

I'm sitting on 430K MR right now, personally.

Message 2 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Haven't thought of it.

Points are great when you get redemptions but the problem is the airlines make it a pain to use them and you have th be ultra flexible. 

;
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Haven't thought of it.

Points are great when you get redemptions but the problem is the airlines make it a pain to use them and you have th be ultra flexible. 

Tell me about it. 

300K BA,

425K AA,

430K MR,

190K UR,

140K SW,

And we just burnt all our TYP pending Citi's upcoming deval from 1.6cpp to 1.33 cpp on AA flights.

Message 4 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Haven't thought of it.

Tell me about it. 

300K BA,

425K AA,

430K MR,

190K UR,

140K SW,

And we just burnt all our TYP pending Citi's upcoming deval from 1.6cpp to 1.33 cpp on AA flights.

When does that deval hit? I'm trying to get to Singapore right now and was looking at using my MRs with virgin atlantic to redeem on ANA for JFK-NRT and then either ANA from NRT to SIN or SQ for the NRT-SIN leg in J. The alternative is to do SQ NY-SIN via FRA. Not really sure I find the layover in europe as appealing as Tokyo. The problem with SQ NY-SIN is I am not seeing many openings. I see some SQ openings for LAX-SIN via NRT. Coming back is the problem. I can't find any openings for the NRT-LAX leg. Also, id I did this I would need a positioning flight from Ny to LAX and would want to try to snag a J class redemption on AA. I have like 70k AA miles as well not to mention $500 in AA gift cards. Not ideal but I did do that LAX-NRT leg on SQ last year and used AA to connect through.   Doing it this way will save me like 50k miles. Right now I have like 130k Amex MRx and around 27K TY points. I can dump some of my SPG points or a portion of my chase URs (170K) into SQ but I would prefer to move my chase URs into Hyatt and use my SPG points on SPG. I have a marriot and hyatt annual cert. Also going to earn two free nights with hyatt and two free weekend nights with Hilton. Around 120k Marriott points as well so if I can save some miles on my flight redemption I should be able to cover most of my hotel stays.

;
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

June.

Gift cards are nice and I actually used them to book DFW-KOA this summer.
Message 6 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

Bah just saw they switched to the 777 on the LAX-SIn route. So much for that idea.

;
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

Bah just saw they switched to the 777 on the LAX-SIn route. So much for that idea.

What's wrong with 77W?

Message 8 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

What's wrong with 77W?

The 77W doesn't have the suites. 

;
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.