cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel CC suggestion

tag
sltyler1

Travel CC suggestion

Hello, I am looking for suggestions on the best travel card to own. I already have the Barclaycard Arrival, but they slashed the rewards on that card pretty hard. So just looking for the best option for two middle tweenties adults that have usually one big travel trip a year outside the US. But will be having probably quite a few flights around the country starting this fall and continuing until summer 2017.

My current scores are: TransUnion 713 and Equifax 721. But I am expecting those to go up a touch next month with less card utilization. Is it worth getting one of the bigger travel rewards cards, I like to maximize our rewards.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: Also we generally fly out of Chicago for international flights or Milwaukee for domestic.

Make your money work for you.

Discover (20,000 CL), Chase Freedom (8,000 CL), American Express Blue Cash (23,000 CL), Amazon Store Card (5,000 CL), Citi Double Cash Back (10,500 CL), & Barclaycard Arrival (13,000 CL). Also authorized user on Kohls Card (1,000 CL), another Discover card (9,000 CL), & Angel Card (1,150 CL).
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Travel CC suggestion

@sltyler1 wrote:

Hello, I am looking for suggestions on the best travel card to own. I already have the Barclaycard Arrival, but they slashed the rewards on that card pretty hard. So just looking for the best option for two middle tweenties adults that have usually one big travel trip a year outside the US. But will be having probably quite a few flights around the country starting this fall and continuing until summer 2017.

My current scores are: TransUnion 713 and Equifax 721. But I am expecting those to go up a touch next month with less card utilization. Is it worth getting one of the bigger travel rewards cards, I like to maximize our rewards.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: Also we generally fly out of Chicago for international flights or Milwaukee for domestic.

The best travel card? What works for me may not work at all for you.

Will you use lounges? Would you like global entry reimbursed? Do you travel with a lot of luggage if so a airline card may suit you better?

Do you like using points for travel or is it to much of a headache and you would prefer another card like the Arrival that's basically a cash back card?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
sltyler1

@myjourney wrote:

@sltyler1 wrote:

Thanks for your time!

Will you use lounges? Would you like global entry reimbursed? Do you travel with a lot of luggage if so a airline card may suit you better?

Do you like using points for travel or is it to much of a headache and you would prefer another card like the Arrival that's basically a cash back card?

Will you use lounges? I haven't in the past, but it is something I have looked into start doing in the future as it becomes pratical. Such as a card benefit.

Would you like global entry reimbursed? Yes, last year we got TSA Pre-check, but I can now see the advatanges of Global Entry over TSA Pre-check, expecially if a card reimburses you for it.

Do you travel with a lot of luggage, if so a airline card may suit you better? Depends, we can be light packers if need-be. Otherwise, if it is worth the expense if we are packing things like flippers, we will pack a bag. We generally seem to be flying AA out of ORD.

Do you like using points for travel or is it to much of a headache and you would prefer another card like the Arrival that's basically a cash back card? I wouldn't mind using points instead of cash-back, I don't mind doing the extra research or taking the extra time to get things to work how I want them to in this regard.

Thanks for the reply myjourney, those are great questions.

Make your money work for you.

Discover (20,000 CL), Chase Freedom (8,000 CL), American Express Blue Cash (23,000 CL), Amazon Store Card (5,000 CL), Citi Double Cash Back (10,500 CL), & Barclaycard Arrival (13,000 CL). Also authorized user on Kohls Card (1,000 CL), another Discover card (9,000 CL), & Angel Card (1,150 CL).
Message 3 of 9
mdd0214
Contributor

Flying AA you should double up on the Citi AA & Barclays AA for the 90k combined miles. 

Message 4 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@sltyler1 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@sltyler1 wrote:

Thanks for your time!

Will you use lounges? I haven't in the past, but it is something I have looked into start doing in the future as it becomes pratical. Such as a card benefit.

Would you like global entry reimbursed? Yes, last year we got TSA Pre-check, but I can now see the advatanges of Global Entry over TSA Pre-check, expecially if a card reimburses you for it.

Do you travel with a lot of luggage, if so a airline card may suit you better? Depends, we can be light packers if need-be. Otherwise, if it is worth the expense if we are packing things like flippers, we will pack a bag. We generally seem to be flying AA out of ORD.

Do you like using points for travel or is it to much of a headache and you would prefer another card like the Arrival that's basically a cash back card? I wouldn't mind using points instead of cash-back, I don't mind doing the extra research or taking the extra time to get things to work how I want them to in this regard.

Thanks for the reply myjourney, those are great questions.

Being from Chicago (born and raised) ORD is a great airport for all outbound destinations also consider MDW for local destinations 

True travel cards to consider:

Low AF 

PRG, CSP, Citi Premier 

High AF w/lounge access/ global entry 

Plat, CSR, Prestige 

Airline cards to consider 

UA, AA, Delta

Jetblue ORD (local)

SW out of MDW (local)

Travel / cashback cards 

Venture 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're not doing a lot of travel to warrant a large annual fee for a free bag and lounge access once a year, the costco card is nice @4% gas, 3% travel and dining- besides the costco perks. Its free with a membership if thats useful to you.. otherwise there's another card with identical reward tiers out there from another bank- not related to costco- whose name escapes me at the moment. Regardless 3% back on any travel with no headaches (airfare, hotels, etc) is tough to beat
Message 6 of 9
driftless
Valued Contributor

It really depends on your airlines, IMHO. We are Chicago based and fly primarily United so CSR is our primary card. I would pick a card based on which airline you are most likely to fly the most.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 7 of 9
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@If you're not doing a lot of travel to warrant a large annual fee for a free bag and lounge access once a year, the costco card is nice @4% gas, 3% travel and dining- besides the costco perks. Its free with a membership if thats useful to you.. otherwise there's another card with identical reward tiers out there from another bank- not related to costco- whose name escapes me at the moment. Regardless 3% back on any travel with no headaches (airfare, hotels, etc) is tough to beat

(Referring to highlighted portions above)  Would that be the card at the link listed below?

https://www.infirstfcu.org/personal-banking/credit-cards/visa-rewards/

Message 8 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

The Citi Premier pays 3% on a very broad travel category

Air, train, boat, gas, parking, tolls, bus etc etc... 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.