Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Card Advice Needed

tag
elvigy
Contributor

Travel Card Advice Needed

History first, then question. Smiley Happy

Up to June, I only had 1 open account (mortgage) and, depending on which credit bureau, 3 or 4 closed accounts including a Citi Mastercard that I was paying off. No negatives at all, with AAoA of 12.8 years (since the only open line of credit was the mortgage). The Citi card was opened in 2000 and closed in 2009 but I owed almost $23k on it so have been paying that down for the past few years.

Flash forward to July, 2013 and I had to buy a new car. So I got the car loan and decided to transfer the Citi balance (about 6,300 at this point) to a 0% APR and 0 transfer fee card (Chase Slate) to save some cash. I did that but have a 10k limit on the Chase. Since that transfer will push my utilization up to 63% (math is easy on a 10k card, lol) I decided to shoot for another card with rewards that would increase my credit limit and push down that util percentage. I went for the AMEX BCE and was approved online for 6k. That puts my util at 39% which is tolerable if not great. Plus my first AMEX so yay!

But here's the dilemma-I will never use the Chase Slate card again once that balance is paid because the APR they gave me is 21.99%. I haven't got the AMEX card in the mail yet so don't know the APR on that but it kinda doesn't matter since I'm not intending on carrying a balance. Just want to get the rewards. But the AMEX foreign transaction fee is 2.7% which is a little much.

I travel a couple of times a year so I'd like a card with no annual fee, decent APR, and no FT fee. My two questions are, should I apply now or wait and build the history on the two cards I just got? Or go ahead and apply for a third card for travel purposes and let all 3 age at the same time? Obviously I'll take a hit on my average age but will increase the total credit limit.

What card fits best the criteria? I was looking at the Discover IT since I mostly travel in North America but would like to make a trip to Australia or other places in the not too distant future.

I don't know all my scores but here's what I do know: Equifax (Myfico): 764 but has multiple inquiries from the auto loan and the Chase card. I had to recon the Chase card since they declined at first due to the multiple inquiries.

Creditsesame: 801. Credit Karma: 759. Credit.com: 744 (I know these are FAKO but it's what I have for now).

Any advice is appreciated!

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature | Discover IT
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Travel Card Advice Needed

There are a few but the low APR is hit or miss. CUs will offer the lowest APR, SDFCU for one. Prime banks: Bank of America Travel Rewards, Barclay Arrival No AF Version, Cap 1
Message 2 of 6
elvigy
Contributor

Thanks. That Barclays one looks really good. I'm reading up on that one. Do you think it's better to wait? Or just go ahead and apply?

Amex BCP | Barclaycard Arrival WMC | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature | Discover IT
Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 6
elvigy
Contributor

Only the car loan so far. No Chase or AMEX yet.

Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Barclays is new acct sensitive. If you want it, app before they report.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.