Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Card Choices - 6 month history applications

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Travel Card Choices - 6 month history applications

So I decided that I wasn't happy with the whole cashback concept and would prefer to turn everything in to travel rewards (I didn't realise the BCP was so inflexible). So I've of course been scheming what would suit my preferences best. I generally get to choose my own accomodation when on reimburseable travel, along with airline, so for the moment I think versatile points would probably suit best, with one speciality hotel card with my preferred brand (IHG - I spend alot of time in the great plains).

Current:

Chase Freedom (which ties in nicely with the UR points)

Wants:

AMEX PRG

AMEX SPG

CSP

IHG Rewards.

My next apping window will be at 6 months, (18 days to go, but tell the garden club I wasn't counting) - I will apply for the other two in July. My chase banker has offered to give me his recommendation to apply for a CSP at 6 months history on the Freedom (I have decent accounts (>10k), year relationship with them, have spent 14k through the freedom during the period - need a card with no forex fees thats widely accepted, decent limit). Other sides: I have secured an Australian AMEX Gold in december, which with an AU backdate goes back to 2007, which I should be able to increase my AAoA with some talking to AMEX here (I'm unsure I will global transfer - will see how it goes). I may add an airline card at a later time point depending on how my travel combination goes (AA or Alaska). Income is 57k at the current point, plus reimburseable annual expenditure ~$10k.

So heres my question - Would you suggest anything different, and what should be apping plans given the cards I want, the additional information provided. I might also need a card to carry a balance every now and then - would prefer no fee (perhaps discover which i can use for small stuff). My guess is that 2 cards at 6 months might not be a bad idea. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Travel Card Choices - 6 month history applications

My only question is whether you would be spreading your spending too thinly among three major programs, UR/SPG/MR.   You have reimbursable expenses of $10K a year, what about other spend.   To get the best values on SPG you want to transfer 20K points at a time (and most of these are earned at a dollar per point) and doesn't PRG have a bonus for $30K spend?  Consider using two instead of 3!

Message 2 of 5
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Say 25k other spend at the moment - hopefully that will be going up soon though.

AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 3 of 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@tornadoguy wrote:

So I decided that I wasn't happy with the whole cashback concept and would prefer to turn everything in to travel rewards (I didn't realise the BCP was so inflexible). So I've of course been scheming what would suit my preferences best. I generally get to choose my own accomodation when on reimburseable travel, along with airline, so for the moment I think versatile points would probably suit best, with one speciality hotel card with my preferred brand (IHG - I spend alot of time in the great plains).

Current:

Chase Freedom (which ties in nicely with the UR points)

Wants:

AMEX PRG

AMEX SPG

CSP

IHG Rewards.

My next apping window will be at 6 months, (18 days to go, but tell the garden club I wasn't counting) - I will apply for the other two in July. My chase banker has offered to give me his recommendation to apply for a CSP at 6 months history on the Freedom (I have decent accounts (>10k), year relationship with them, have spent 14k through the freedom during the period - need a card with no forex fees thats widely accepted, decent limit). Other sides: I have secured an Australian AMEX Gold in december, which with an AU backdate goes back to 2007, which I should be able to increase my AAoA with some talking to AMEX here (I'm unsure I will global transfer - will see how it goes). I may add an airline card at a later time point depending on how my travel combination goes (AA or Alaska). Income is 57k at the current point, plus reimburseable annual expenditure ~$10k.

So heres my question - Would you suggest anything different, and what should be apping plans given the cards I want, the additional information provided. I might also need a card to carry a balance every now and then - would prefer no fee (perhaps discover which i can use for small stuff). My guess is that 2 cards at 6 months might not be a bad idea. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

All right! I'm excited for you, tornadoguy!

Personally I would global transfer first that Austrialian gold card before apping for AMEX (easier to backdate), but then again it is your decision!

Since CSP and IHG are both Chase, I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket...

I would wait for the 30k point bonus on SPG again; right now it's 25k. PRG has a targeted offer on creditcards.com for 50k points with only $1k spend, with annual fee waived for the first year. CSP obviously has the 40k points after $2k spend (apping in branch would be best, since your banker would be right there backing you up), with annual fee waived the first year, but IHG has a 60k signup after only $1k.

So my recommendation? Since you'll have about 6 months of history at time of app and given you haven't global transferred the AMEX gold:

PRG (50k after $1k spend)

CSP (40k after $2k spend)

I would have recommended IHG in place of CSP, but considering the age of your history, it may be iffy. CSP you already have your banker backing you up, so that's a huge winner in my book! And you'll only have to spend $3k for all those points! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Thanks daybreak.

Valid point on not spreading points to thinly longtime (will wait til my salary beefs up).

While it would be nice to wait for the transfer - the card won't be eligible until December next year owing to screwy rules with transfers here. Hence I'm going to try the other route if I can. In terms of the targetted offer for the PRG - how can I get my hands on that?

Also earning those signups shouldn't be too hard - conference spend of ~$1500 helps to make a start Smiley Happy.

Assuming a worst case scenario where the CSP for some reason doesn't fly, and the PRG is a go - any suggestions with what to do then (need a bigger limit somewhere otherwise the gardening will be a waste)?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.