cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Card: Person or Business for best rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Travel Card: Person or Business for best rewards?

Looking at the CSR as I can use up the $300 annual travel credit for annual fee balance. But a thought popped up. I use Costco Citi and Amex BP because most of my spend is Costco, gas and groceries with restaurants following up. I will get about $900 cash back this year off those two card. Maybe a bit more. I want the most back so I can start to apply it to pleasure travel. Would sticking with the above cards serve me better than the CSR based on my main spend or would the CSR or a Business CC (I will have to get one sooner than later though spent will be low on it for quite some time), get me more?

Thank you and Happy Holidays :-)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Travel Card: Person or Business for best rewards?

One thing to watch out for is that some business card benefits may only apply if you're using the card for business purposes.

I put some personal spend on a business card, but mostly just things like tax payments and utilities where there's no part that can break or travel plan that can change.

I assume "Amex BP" is Blue Cash Preferred?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much do you spend in costco, gas, grocery and restaurant respectivly?

Message 3 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I have both those cards and they both have their strengths.  It just depends on your lifestyle, spend, and preferences.  Before I got CSR, Citi Costco card got my travel and dining out spend (which is considerable.)  For someone who is a less frequent traveler, it can be much easier and more simple to stick to a no-AF cash-back card for travel like Citi Costco or WF Propel that pays 3% in categories. 

On the other hand, CSR and other premium cards give you many other benefits and potentially higher redemption value, but that depends on your lifestyle and travel patterns.  For example, CSR has much greater travel protections than those no-AF options, but you may find little value in them if you don't travel often.  You will potentially earn 50% or more in value with CSR than a 3% card but you need to factor in the annual fee and other offsets.  Would you use the Global Entry credit?  Would you get much if any use out of the Priority Pass lounges?  Would you use the roadside assistance to defer AAA coverage?  Would you benefit very often from having primary CDW coverage on rental cars?  Would you add CF or CFU or an INK card to further magnify your UR point credits since you can combine points between cards?  Also, consider that there are rumors of a future AF increase on CSR to $550 with possible other credits, still to-be-determined.  Would that be a deal-breaker for you?

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Costco Citi Reward amounts so far for year:

Gas 4% $65.37

Restaurant 3% $100.66

Travel 3% $31.08

Costco 2% $101.90

Other 1% $157.47

Amex won't show me the break down. Rewards on it so far are at $540.00 for the year. Grocery I put over a $1000 at Publix a month. Don't usually go beyond $2000. 

Most of my travel at moment are hotels about 4 times a year, camping a few times a year and two rentals a year. Not a fan of the higher AF, but if travel credits increase to offset, I would be okay with that and would use them up. I would like to fly to Europe once a year, but that isn't going to start for a couple more yet. 

Message 5 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Looking at the CSR as I can use up the $300 annual travel credit for annual fee balance. But a thought popped up. I use Costco Citi and Amex BP because most of my spend is Costco, gas and groceries with restaurants following up. I will get about $900 cash back this year off those two card. Maybe a bit more. I want the most back so I can start to apply it to pleasure travel. Would sticking with the above cards serve me better than the CSR based on my main spend or would the CSR or a Business CC (I will have to get one sooner than later though spent will be low on it for quite some time), get me more?

Thank you and Happy Holidays :-)

If you aren't using the CSR travel benefits (lounge access etc) then I would be hard pressed to recommend anyone pay that AF. You need to do your own math. What works for one person may not work for you. My favorite business card is the amex blue business plus card. Earn 2pts per every dollar spent on the first 50k of spend. No AF and you can still transfer points to travel partners. I use this card for my non-bonus spend. For grocceries and restaurant spend I use the amex gold card 4x points on restaurants and grocery spend, 3 points for flights booked directly with airlines. $250 AF on it but I get $10 a month credit ($120 total) towards things like seamless/grubhub/shake shack etc. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Costco Citi Reward amounts so far for year:

Gas 4% $65.37

Restaurant 3% $100.66

Travel 3% $31.08

Costco 2% $101.90

Other 1% $157.47

Amex won't show me the break down. Rewards on it so far are at $540.00 for the year. Grocery I put over a $1000 at Publix a month. Don't usually go beyond $2000. 

Most of my travel at moment are hotels about 4 times a year, camping a few times a year and two rentals a year. Not a fan of the higher AF, but if travel credits increase to offset, I would be okay with that and would use them up. I would like to fly to Europe once a year, but that isn't going to start for a couple more yet. 

so your spending is (~):

1600 gas

3300 restaurant

1000 hotel, rental

5000 costco

15000 other

12000 grocery

First, you need a better baseline card for "other" category. Best option right now is probably citi double cash.

If you will be flying at least couple of times a year, you should look into (this will likely depend on your travel routes, airlines, home and destination airport):

1. MR system (AMEX Gold), can rack up lot of points since you spend alot in grocery and restaurant. Direct transfer to delta, can book oneworld/star alliance flight (works best with non-stops).

2. UR system (csR+cF+cFU), needs lot of cards to form the combo, but cfU can replace double cash. Direct transfer to united, southwest, can book oneworld, skyteam flights. UR has more ways to redeem, although csR earning rate is low, and no card cover your grocery spending. It does have lounge access if you fly pattern can use it.

3. TYP system (Citi), has just 1 domestic transfer partner (jetblue), but can transfer to alliance airlines and book domestic flights on AA, UA, DL. Points are easy to redeem for decent value.

4. GF system (wells fargo), has no transfer partner, but a propel+visa+cash wise combo is a mini trifecta, 2.25% base earning, 4.5% on travel, dining, gas when redeemed for flight.

If you fly AA most of the time, you may need an AA card, since nobody can transfer to AAdvantage miles (except Bonvoy).

If you have more details on your travel, list can be narrowed down further.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

On that one card, yes that is a good breakdown.

I pick the least expensive airline tickets at the moment. Have three kids, so first class or any other "adult" benefits aren't really bonuses at the moment unless they give more privacy and space.

Lots of solid info to everyone. Thank you!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.