Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Card options and opinions

tag
DONZI
Established Contributor

Re: Travel Card options and opinions

@disdreamin wrote:

On a more general note, I never book air travel through a third party site like expedia or travelocity. I want to be able to make changes directly with the airline, if necessary, and I want to be notified of changes directly from the airline. I also don't want to have to go through a middle-man if there are issues when traveling.

In regard to the middle man, I suspect it's a bit different between them.. been a lifetime since I used expedia or priceline.

I can't offer many specifics on ticket changes, but one I did was adding a loyalty # to a companion's ticket for them via amex travel. The process seemed to required direct with Delta as there was a malformation of the proper name entry (companion has 5 parts to their name) when I added them to my amex travel profile.

The Skymiles # didn't match the name after booking at Delta. I first thought.. I have to do this with Delta and they required a bit of online hoop jumping so was going to head to the local airport and do it in person. In the mean time, I adjusted the name on amex travel and saved it. A few days later when looking at the delta site "MY TRIPS" receipt looks in order now but there may still be kinks yet to work out. My companion has had problems with all airlines since there is inconsistent format among state DL, passport, bank and credit cards, etc. and has always had to wait before boarding. I suspect any further correction(s) needed will be direct with Delta.

Anyhow, it doesn't seem to be all 3rd pary or airline direct -- the situation/issue may dictate which organization is best to use. I imagine to cancel a flight, amex would refund the money more quickly. If I wanted to change a flight I'd deal with Delta for an eTicket.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 11 of 12
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: Travel Card options and opinions

OP - some key questions to answer so people can provide better answers to your questions:

1) Which airport is your "home" airport?  Does that airport have a dominant airline?

2) Do you frequently travel by air to certain places (i.e. have extended family located far enough away that flying is necessary)?  If so, where are those locations (and what is the dominant airline for those locations)?

3) Do you stay in hotels when you travel?  If so, what are your preferred brands?

4) Do you travel at all internationally, or to "exotic" destinations domestically (i.e. Hawaii and similar, tropical places outside the lower 48 states)?

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.