Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Card with no AF

tag
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Travel Card with no AF

So I am looking for a travel card with no AF. I currently have the citi Premier but I am going to cancel it. I just would rather have travel card for my everyday spending. Thanks
CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Travel Card with no AF

You can take a look at the VentureOne...may not be the best travel card but it does meet the no AF requirement that you listed.

Message 2 of 25
galahad15
Valued Contributor

BoA Travel Rewards VISA has 1.5% travel rewards earned per $1 spent, with no AF.

Message 3 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Neither the BOA Travel or the VentureOne are really "travel" cards -- they earn cash back that must be reemed for travel if you want the full 1.5% / 1.25% value, respectively.

With cash back options on the market with no restrictions from 1.5% to 2%, I don't see how either of the aforementioned are really worth applying for outside of the initial bonuses.

If you want a "real" travel card, you should go for one with transferable points IMO. Arrival, Venture, BOA Travel....not really worth applying for, again, unless you're just looking at bonuses. But otherwise, why go for a restricted version of something you can get elsewhere with no restriction? It's not like the cards give extra value, just forced redemption only for travel. Of course some will disagree with me, but I just fail to see how they are really "travel" cards.

If you don't want to pay an AF, you aren't really going to find much in the way of actual travel cards that aren't just cash back in disguise.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie/Citi DC/Discover/Freedom.  Oh wait, I see you have all of those already.

Hotels and airlines accept cash as payment.  

Message 5 of 25
Open123
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Neither the BOA Travel or the VentureOne are really "travel" cards -- they earn cash back that must be reemed for travel if you want the full 1.5% / 1.25% value, respectively.

With cash back options on the market with no restrictions from 1.5% to 2%, I don't see how either of the aforementioned are really worth applying for outside of the initial bonuses.

If you want a "real" travel card, you should go for one with transferable points IMO. Arrival, Venture, BOA Travel....not really worth applying for, again, unless you're just looking at bonuses. But otherwise, why go for a restricted version of something you can get elsewhere with no restriction? It's not like the cards give extra value, just forced redemption only for travel. Of course some will disagree with me, but I just fail to see how they are really "travel" cards.

Right, unless you need the no-FTF feature, any of the 2% cashback cards are better than the 1.5% Travel Rewards, which is essentially a pseudo-cash card.  Of course, if you want it for the bonus, that's an alotogether different consideration.

While no-fee "true" travel rewards card exists, they are extremely underwhelming.  The exception would be the Amex ED.

Message 6 of 25
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I don't really use mine much anymore, but the Merrill Lynch Merrill+ Visa Signature is a no AF and no FTF travel card. It can be a bit hard to accumulate points with it, however. I'm fairly certain it is still available to the public. 

Message 7 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Right, unless you need the no-FTF feature, any of the 2% cashback cards are better than the 1.5% Travel Rewards, which is essentially a pseudo-cash card.  Of course, if you want it for the bonus, that's an alotogether different consideration.

While no-fee "true" travel rewards card exists, they are extremely underwhelming.  The exception would be the Amex ED.

OP, in addition to what Open123 mentioned above, the other alternative is the Merrill+ card.  The only thing is you need to place considerable spending before you accrue any decent redemptions for travel (1 point per $1 - similar to VentureOne or BOA Travel Rewards).  Upper level of benefits such as the Delta Sky Club lounges, for instance, would require lots of spending ($50K) at the Plus Level.  But, it offers an array of decent travel benefits that the BOA Travel Rewards or Venture One do not have.  It is also a no-FTF card.

Otherwise, to get great travel benefits (as has been mentioned upthread), sometimes you gotta pay to play!

Message 8 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

Depending on what you want out of a travel card I have the amex everday which has no AF and helps me earn amex MR points. Another benefit would be that it would allow you to keep the MR points from your PRG if you decide to cancel that card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some hotel chains have no AF cards, Hilton has Citi and Amex versions. Wyndham also has a no AF card. Jet Blue, if you fly them, also has a new no AF card. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.