Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Cards - Advice Needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Travel Cards - Advice Needed

Greetings

I am thinking about picking up the hobby of reward points mining as my credit score and total debt are where they need to be. Currently my FICO 8 score is 714 and have an 11% utilization ratio. I have 5 hard pulls on my Experian report: 2 auto loans (shopping), 2 personal loans (shopping) and 1 credit card (Amazon) but the credit card is going off of my report on 11/11/2018.

I am currently using my Delta Plat Sky Miles card for everyday as the rest of my cards are just residents of my sock drawer. I currently have 27,000 miles on my account and a balance of $0. I recently got promoted this year and would like to travel more. Maybe 2-3 times a year. 

I think over time I would like the Chase trifects of the Saphire, Freedom, and Freedom unlimited for max value and flexibility of points. I also want to get the AMEX SPG card as when I do go away I like to stay at one of their branded hotels. 

With the AMEX Sky Miles card I get a free companion ticket each year which I have not used. I am thinking of applying for the AMEX SPG card and get the signing bonus then pair my current mileage and SPG bonus to go away using points to either cover or reduce the costs. That is the short game. Long game is to switch to the Chase UR program as United usually has good deals and you can transfer UR to SPG. I get the three cards over a span of 9 months but not sure what card to get first or even if I should get the SPG card first, or at all. Also I have been looking at the Citi Prestige card as every fourth night is free compared to the fifth with SPG.

If anyone can give me pointers or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated! Which card would you get first or do you have another combo that works?

Thanks again!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Travel Cards - Advice Needed

If you are wanting to get the Chase trifecta cards, you need to remember to calculate in the 5/24 rule.
Chase is great for travel rewards.
The PRG card will be a good addition to your portfolio once you get the trifecta cards.
I will be getting the PRG card very soon !
Message 2 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

All good cards.
How many new credit cards have you opened in the last 24 months? If more than 5, Chase is out until that drops.

The SPG bonus is only available ( this time around ) until Oct 31.

So your task is to determine whether you need to get the Chase cards first, or can get the SPG first. Each has a daunting spend requirement to get the SUB so your spend plans matter as well.

The good news is that eventually you can probably build a good set of travel cards. Going slowly and carefully planning timing is important.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 1 credit card inquiry and it’s from 11/10/2016. So this November I’ll have zero. I deliberately waited because of the 5/24 rule. The spend isn’t a problem as I can pay my rent using a credit card without fees.

My initial thought is the SPG card because the current offer expires at the end of October. Plus I can use my sky miles and SPG points (if I go that route) to use this year and get the Chase trifecta for soon after. If I get all 4 it’ll still put me under the 5/24 rule. Plus by opening the three new chase cards I’ll get the three bonuses within 9 months which will set me up pretty good. At least I think so.
Message 4 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have 1 credit card inquiry and it’s from 11/10/2016. So this November I’ll have zero. I deliberately waited because of the 5/24 rule. The spend isn’t a problem as I can pay my rent using a credit card without fees.

Just to be clear, the 5/24 is new accounts, not inqs.  Probably no difference in your case, but in theory you could have 10,000 inqs and if they only generated one success, Chase wouldn't rule you out on 5/24 grounds.  (They would say "Too many inquiries!")

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, I have 1 one opened credit card account which resulted in the inquiry. I have 1 car loan and 1 personal loan.

What card would you get first if you were in my situation?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, it’s nearly impossible to get the trifecta to include both Freedom cards as Chase no longer allows you to apply and be approved for more then one card in a ‘family’. So you can’t have both Freedom cards and you can’t have both the CSP and  CSR at the same time.  You can do it thru product changes but not directly by applying. 

Message 7 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, it’s nearly impossible to get the trifecta to include both Freedom cards as Chase no longer allows you to apply and be approved for more then one card in a ‘family’. So you can’t have both Freedom cards and you can’t have both the CSP and  CSR at the same time.  You can do it thru product changes but not directly by applying. 

80, I thought that was just for their Sapphire cards.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought that I had read that they applied that rule to the Freedom cards as well but I may be mistaken.  I know that it’s been rumored that it will happen to the Freedom cards so let me do some research.

Message 9 of 11
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought that I had read that they applied that rule to the Freedom cards as well but I may be mistaken.  I know that it’s been rumored that it will happen to the Freedom cards so let me do some research.

It’s confusing as hell, I think I have to make a cheat sheet to keep track of lifetime subs, 5/24, green check marks, 24 month SUBs,now one card per brand and many more.......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.