Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Notice: Is it Necessary?

tag
trant3
Established Contributor

Travel Notice: Is it Necessary?

So I am going on my first international trip next week (Carribean Cruise) and was pondering whether or not it was necessary to provide a travel notice to the lenders? I planned on using my Amex Plat and CSR. I was beginning to provide travel notice to Amex but realized that their fraud detection is "industry leading" and thus do not need advance notice. On the other hand, Chase and others have an option to provide notice. At this point, I can easily just provide the notice but was wondering what others; experiences are with it?

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Travel Notice: Is it Necessary?

As this is your first international trip, I probably would notify.   If you travel a lot, some of the systems adapt and don't get concerned about out of country charges.

Just be aware (and I'm sure the notices also say this) that this doesn't prevent charges from being declined.   My daughter had a poor experience with Cap One a few years ago, she provided a travel notice with her foreign contact info.   First charge, they denied and called her US number to check it was her making the charge.  Strangely enough, she wasn't there!

So certainly take cards from more than one issuer.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would tell  them in advance and take mutiple cards from visa, mc, amex on different banks. I was once in a place where Visa was accepted but could not get approval.  Also take cards that have low or no ftf.  

Message 3 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@trant3 wrote:

So I am going on my first international trip next week (Carribean Cruise) and was pondering whether or not it was necessary to provide a travel notice to the lenders? I planned on using my Amex Plat and CSR. I was beginning to provide travel notice to Amex but realized that their fraud detection is "industry leading" and thus do not need advance notice. On the other hand, Chase and others have an option to provide notice. At this point, I can easily just provide the notice but was wondering what others; experiences are with it?

Amex Platinum: No notice, no problems.

CSP: No notice, no problems.

Discover: Yes notice, yes problems.

Barclaycard Arrival: Yes notice, no problems, but limited use.

Prestige: No notice, no problems.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've used AMEX and Chase cards in the Caribbean without notice and without issue. I've had issue with acceptance of Discover, but never needed to provide notice. If it makes you feel better, it takes less than a minute to provide your bank notice.

To make life easy, I typically only carry one Visa and one AMEX, but do carry hard currency as a backup and for minor purchases. Some smaller vendors will balk at card use on these small value transactions, especially in Europe. USD tends to be pretty well accepted in the Caribbean.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would notify, just in case, I don't have either of those cards...I just traveled to the west coast (I live on the east coast), it wasn't out of this country, but I had issues on one card after not notifying them.

my results were:

Citi - No Notify, first use was declined and got a phone call within seconds.

BofA - No Notify, no issues.

Discover - Notify - no issues.

Fidelity - Notify - no issues.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were taking a Citi card, I would highly recommend to notify them. I worked in credit card cs for them for a while. They WILL deny transactions that are outside of your usual spending area. The notification is usually quick and easy.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL,

It probably took you way longer to post on here, then it would have to go to the app and put in the travel notifcation....Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always notifiy using online tools.  I only use cards with no foreign transaction fees when traveling so it is only 2 cards plus my debit so isn't much effort.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always call or online chat with each company just as a precaution. I was told by AmEx two weeks ago that it's not necessary because of the chip technology but they would note the account for me. She said if there was any issue with the card being declined to call them collect at 336-393-1111. I didn't have any problems even when the hotel charged twice for exactly the same amount. AmEx was smart enough to realize I had booked two rooms at the same rate for each. I only used the one card while I was gone since it's my daily Hilton card.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.