Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel card advice

tag
vision_20
Valued Member

Travel card advice

I currently own 1 travel card if you can call it that and it's the NFCU Flagship Visa. I will always keep that card because that's who I bank with but I feel like there are more options available to me that have a better return on rewards for flights, hotels and general travel perks. I ultimately fly Delta and book both Marriot and Hilton. I've looked at the AMEX Platinum a lot lately and feel like that will be a move to make in the future as well but I am looking for another revolver to replace what I thought could have been the Flagship. I'm sitting at 2/24 with my Discover being 2 months old. I am honestly not a fan of Chase even though their cards seem pretty amazing they appear to also be a headache to deal with. I'm not going to app for anything until March when my TU (645) and EX (655) reports will be clean from previous late payments on another cc, otherwise 6 total credit card account, 4 reporting a balance at 70% UTL each. When my statements break in February those 4 accounts will all report at 25% utl then AZEO in March.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Travel card advice

@vision_20 wrote:
I currently own 1 travel card if you can call it that and it's the NFCU Flagship Visa. I will always keep that card because that's who I bank with but I feel like there are more options available to me that have a better return on rewards for flights, hotels and general travel perks. I ultimately fly Delta and book both Marriot and Hilton. I've looked at the AMEX Platinum a lot lately and feel like that will be a move to make in the future as well but I am looking for another revolver to replace what I thought could have been the Flagship. I'm sitting at 2/24 with my Discover being 2 months old. I am honestly not a fan of Chase even though their cards seem pretty amazing they appear to also be a headache to deal with. I'm not going to app for anything until March when my TU (645) and EX (655) reports will be clean from previous late payments on another cc, otherwise 6 total credit card account, 4 reporting a balance at 70% UTL each. When my statements break in February those 4 accounts will all report at 25% utl then AZEO in March.

For practicality, you'll probably want a Visa or MC to go with an Amex Platinum for greater acceptance.

Every lender has pros and cons. What is it about Chase that discourages you?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 11
vision_20
Valued Member

True, everybody has something. I think it is the common review I hear and read that as soon as you do something they dont like they are known for closing your account or reducing your CL just because they want to and without notice. It doesn't discourage me because despite my high utilization right now I generally keep 4 of my cards paid of and carry a small balance on the other 2. I just wouldn't want the headache or worry of having a month where I needed to unexpectedly carry a larger than normal balance and then Chase decide to close my account. Despite that I have still looked into the Freedom unlimited

Message 3 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@vision_20 wrote:
True, everybody has something. I think it is the common review I hear and read that as soon as you do something they dont like they are known for closing your account or reducing your CL just because they want to and without notice. It doesn't discourage me because despite my high utilization right now I generally keep 4 of my cards paid of and carry a small balance on the other 2. I just wouldn't want the headache or worry of having a month where I needed to unexpectedly carry a larger than normal balance and then Chase decide to close my account. Despite that I have still looked into the Freedom unlimited

Keep in mind sample selection bias. "My cards worked exactly as I thought they would today" would make for a pretty boring thread topic. We're also a community where a lot of people are rebuilding and/or aggressively seeking credit and/or bonuses.

Message 4 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Flagship is a fantastic all around card.  3% on travel, 2% on everything else.

Maybe a Amex would be good if you travel enough with Delta and/or Hilton.

Not too much out there dramatically better than Flagship 3% without any additional AFs.

One has to spend quite a bit on travel to make a high AF card worth the difference.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Not too much out there dramatically better than Flagship 3% without any additional AFs.

One has to spend quite a bit on travel to make a high AF card worth the difference.

OP is already considering Amex Platinum which covers PreCheck or GE. $49 is a low AF but it's still an AF. A basic Costco membership (making the Visa an option) isn't much more. My IHG card with the same AF gives a renewal night.

Message 6 of 11
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

OP is already considering Amex Platinum which covers PreCheck or GE. $49 is a low AF but it's still an AF. A basic Costco membership (making the Visa an option) isn't much more. My IHG card with the same AF gives a renewal night.

OP already has Flagship and is already paying the AF.

Nothing wrong with Costco, but nothing amazing about it either.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Citi Prestige is the one overlooked by many.    After just one statement cut, and after $450 fee, my profit so far is roughly $1700 already, although I may have used whatever I can for this year.

Despite of stripping many many benefits, I think it is undervalued.

Message 8 of 11
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

What benefits/rewards returns are you looking for?

If you fly Delta and.stay at Hilton, Chase maybe isn’t going to be a great fit as those are Amex partners. Marriott is both though.

The Platinum has excellent perks, and good earnings on airfare, but is otherwise a poor points earning card.

Do you have enough spend to support earning in multiple systems?
Message 9 of 11
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@vision_20 wrote:
I think it is the common review I hear and read that as soon as you do something they dont like they are known for closing your account or reducing your CL just because they want to and without notice.

Keep in mind sample selection bias. "My cards worked exactly as I thought they would today" would make for a pretty boring thread topic. We're also a community where a lot of people are rebuilding and/or aggressively seeking credit and/or bonuses.

+1.  Chase AA is not so common unless you're displaying risky behavior or aggressive credit-seeking.  And then, it can happen with a lot of other lenders.  You just hear more about Chase and AA because they are a large lender.  In truth, many lenders are conservative when it comes to those things.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.