Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel card choices

tag
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Re: Travel card choices

@jdbkiang wrote:

I look at transferable points (UR/MR/TYP/C1) earning potential, and then which perks match my travel style. I'm not particularly a brand loyalist and will generally not pay too much more than the least expensive option for the times that I need to fly at, but expanding the number of cards I have has certainly helped boost my flexibility. It also comes down to how important travel is to you, since, if you don't travel very often, the benefits and perks may not matter as much. If you're highly brand loyal though, I would at least consider getting a couple more Amex delta/Bonvoy cards as there are benefits to be used for both. 

I think this is the best strategy, in my case I do have quite a few bofa cards and the reason is when it comes to the travel category it's the widest I have ever experienced: for example I use the awardwallet transaction feature and found that my ski resort purchases are counting as travel, 

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 11 of 13
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@sladesurfer wrote:
I use Amex Premium car insurance all the time. $17 for 45 days

It's $20 in my state, and you can't get AMEX premium insurance using a Citi card like the Premier.

One of the major selling points for my getting a Venture X is I am not shelling out $$$ for AMEX premium insurance any more. Let alone having to pay gouge rates for rental car company insurance...

I think Amex can charge what they charge even though folks can get the same protection elsewhere is the reputations that Amex has.  I'm sure there are some folks like myself who just feel like if things go bad, it may be easier working with Amex and those at CapOne or Chase.  I have quite a few premium cards that have identical or similar protection as my Amex cards but I will still make the purchase on my Amex card because of the level of customer service they've delivered in the past. 

CapOne may be just as great as they are but there isn't enough datapoints right now to back it up.

Message 12 of 13
sladesurfer
Regular Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@sladesurfer wrote:
I use Amex Premium car insurance all the time. $17 for 45 days

It's $20 in my state, and you can't get AMEX premium insurance using a Citi card like the Premier.

One of the major selling points for my getting a Venture X is I am not shelling out $$$ for AMEX premium insurance any more. Let alone having to pay gouge rates for rental car company insurance...

I think Amex can charge what they charge even though folks can get the same protection elsewhere is the reputations that Amex has.  I'm sure there are some folks like myself who just feel like if things go bad, it may be easier working with Amex and those at CapOne or Chase.  I have quite a few premium cards that have identical or similar protection as my Amex cards but I will still make the purchase on my Amex card because of the level of customer service they've delivered in the past. 

CapOne may be just as great as they are but there isn't enough datapoints right now to back it up.

Yea, I've dealt with Amex before and they are by far best when it comes to warranty and returns....Everytime i make a large $ item purchase. I make sure i charge it on my Amex card. I've had friends file a claim via Amex for car rental insurance and they says its pretty much pain free experience. All of my Amex Cards are enrolled on their Premium Insurance...You Really cant beat $17 for 45 days per Rental..

PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Penfed Gold
NFCU Amex More Rewards
NFCU Cash Rewards
NFCU Flagship
Goldman Sachs Apple Card
Chase IHG Rewards Club Card
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Amex Business Prime Card
Amex Marriott Brilliant Card
Amex Hilton Aspire Card
Amex Charles Schwab Platinum
Amex Gold Card
US Bank Cash+ card
Discover It Card
Capital One Quicksilver Card
Citi Double Cash
Citi Premier
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.