Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel cards

tag
Creditisstupid
Established Member

Travel cards

Hello,

I'm fairly new to rewards cards in general and travel cards specifically but am looking to apply for one within the next six months to start earning points for a family trip in the next year or two. We haven't typically traveled much but want to start doing yearly vacations, sometimes with flights sometimes not, but don't know much about whether travel cards would even be worthwhile for us. The points systems are a foreign currency to me.

I recently was approved for the Amex Hilton Honors with a 10K starting line. I applied for it because the welcome bonus will be enough to cover a two night stay for a trip to Chicago we're planning later this summer. So we do have that. I've been looking into the Amex Gold card, and found an offer for a 75k point sign up bonus, but am a bit daunted by the $250 annual fee and can't decide if it's worth it. I'm torn between that one and the Everyday Preferred, as more of a way to ease in to points, though that has a much lower sign up bonus. I've read a lot and watched some videos on the gold card, but am still hesitant whether it's worth it for us. Any experiences or thoughts? I like Amex so far and am building credit with them quickly. I started with the BCE in December with a 1K limit, and it's now at 3K, and they approved the Hilton at a much higher limit. Again I'm just really overwhelmed by the points and how they translate to domestic travel. My scores are good, with 746 Experian, 791 Equifax, and 750 Transunion, and my reports are clean.

Are there other cards I should consider besides the Gold?  Other than the Hyatt card, we also have a Blue Cash Everyday, Capital One Quicksilver and Savor, FNBO Evergreen, a Discover It, and an Ollo Card. I can't do a Chase card right now. The majority of our spend is on groceries and dining, which is part of why I've been drawn to the Gold card with it's high cap on grocery spend. Thank you for any thoughts!

11 REPLIES 11
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

Re: Travel cards

If you frequently fly with a particular airline then an airline card may be a good choice, but I tend to prefer the more generic travel cards.  Capital One Venture cards, Chase Sapphire, Mercury World Elite, AmEx BCE / BCP, etc...  There's a lot of good options, and lots of decent SUB's.  It's going to depend on how many cards you're willing to rotate between to take advantage of different categories, and whether you want to stick with particular hotel or airline chains as well. 

Message 2 of 12
redpat
Senior Contributor

IMO, go w/ EDP card and only use that with the DW.  After 30 swipes it's a 9X, 6x and 3x card vs 8x, 2x value of MR points.  So even with getting 4x dining and grocery but getting every at 3x the extra you get with the gold wounldn't make that much of a difference.  

In addition, you can MR points using Rakuten.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

The Gold card has two main types of credits, which goes a long way to reducing tht $250 AF. Uber Eats and GrubHub are how I apply mine.

The EDP may get slightly more points on groceries, but not much on dining and the groceries are capped at $6,000 per year. There is also no way to cut down the $95 AF on the EDP.

The MR ponts from the Gold are great for airlines, but not going to cover all your travel costs such as hotel and rental cars. So some of your travel points planning should identify whether you intend to fly there, or driving to something more local, as well as what the likely hotel brand is involved. 

How close are you to 5/24? In travel points, one must seriously consider Chase early on, due to the flexibility of those points.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 12
h2oeng
Contributor

The way I justify any card with an AF is will the card pay for itself (i.e. the AF).   Unless you do alot of travel it's hard to justify some cards, AMEX Plat for example (mine has an AF of $870 w/ 2 AU's on it).  The Gold card has a $250 AF.  Will you be able to recoup the fee?  Keep in mind, unless you are putting travel expenses on the card and booking thru their portals you won't see any of the multipliers.  It's just x1 point / dollar.  You may be better off with a good cash back card, say WF Active Cash at 2%.  Run the numbers and see what works for you.  

Message 5 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@h2oeng wrote:

The way I justify any card with an AF is will the card pay for itself (i.e. the AF).   U

As I am forced (the voices make me) to post from time to time, that isn't a great way to do it.   Consider the LTL Bank "Pays for itself!!!" Visa

Pays 0.1c CASH BACK(!!!!) for every net dollar spent, with a low low low AF of just $1 (!!!!!)  So, after just spending $1000 you make back the AF and any additional spend is pure profit!!!!

So would you get that card?   Hopefully, of course not. And the reason is (apart from its non-existence) there are many better cards.   And the moral is such comparisons are always part of the equation, not just "do I get the AF back"   More, of the set of cards I can reasonably expect to get approved for, which gives me the greatest net gain (assigning values to things like lounge access etc as you desire)

End of voice-inspired PSA.

Message 6 of 12
Creditisstupid
Established Member

Thanks all! I had an offer pop up for a sign up bonus of 90K points for 4k spend in 6 months and I did end up applying for the card and was approved. 90K seemed like a really good amount of points. I figured I'd try it for a year and if it ends up not being worth it, we can always cancel it. Now I just need to learn how the MR points and travel portal work.

Message 7 of 12
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

The problem with applying for something because it "seems like a good deal" is MR points are worth different amounts to different people. If you fly international regularly then you can get a decent return. If you fly business class or higher then it's a better return. But for domestic flights or other redemptions the value drops significantly.

You also have to transfer the miles to an airline and that's after you've done a good amount of research to find that good redemption. These are all things to know before you sign up for a card just because a SUB sounds good.

Message 8 of 12
calisig
Regular Contributor

When it comes to travel cards, you have to decide what you want it for. Do you want it for the benefits, such as insurance? Or is lounge access your primary motive (sometimes people forget lounge access is possible without a credit card). Or do you want a card for rewards? If rewards, do you want points or cash back or a combo of both? If points, it depends on how you want to use points. AmEx MR points vary in value depending on how you redeem them. If cash, they are only worth $0.006 / point. Some get $0.02 / point, but the primary way most do this is for international 'asporational' travel, such as upgrading to first class or a luxury vacation to a place where you find a good deal for points. But you have to either transfer the points to a travel partner or use the AmEx travel portal. It has been my experience that for standard economy domestic travel, using the AmEx portal costs more than if I book directly with airlines without points, so I am mostly on team cash back, but still dabble in the Chase point system. My view of AmEx charge cards is that they are well marketed status symbols, but to me they are just coupon books (coupons = $10 / mo select dining credit, etc.), and without a stated credit limit, one might have a Platinum card and not even know their internal limit is really only a status lacking $2k! So AmEx charge cards aren't for me, but if your organic spending matches their coupons, then they might be right for you. There are other travel cards that have good benefits and earn rewards in the categories you spend in most - such as groceries and dining. I suggest you research cards that match your spending, and then pursue a card setup that matches. And if you want to try points, pick one eco system and focus on experimenting with that before getting points cards in multiple eco systems. good luck

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 9 of 12
calisig
Regular Contributor

@Creditisstupid wrote:

We haven't typically traveled much but want to start doing yearly vacations, sometimes with flights sometimes not, but don't know much about whether travel cards would even be worthwhile for us. The points systems are a foreign currency to me.

I've been looking into the Amex Gold card, and found an offer for a 75k point sign up bonus, but am a bit daunted by the $250 annual fee and can't decide if it's worth it. I'm torn between that one and the Everyday Preferred, as more of a way to ease in to points, though that has a much lower sign up bonus.

The majority of our spend is on groceries and dining, which is part of why I've been drawn to the Gold card with it's high cap on grocery spend.

I would try the AmEx Gold before Everyday Preferred, and here is why: With the larger SUB, you will have enough MR points to start with to experiment with the portal or consider a transfer to a travel partner. Don't worry about the annual fee, because if you don't like the card, the SUB more than covers the AF, and you can cancel after the first year. But here is what to look for. You are considering Gold because of 4x on dining and groceries. If you can transfer or upgrade at a value you think is actually worth $0.02, then you are making $0.08 / dollar spent - which is great! BUT - if you end up not finding added value in transfering or upgrading your travel, then you are stuck with the cash rate $0.006, which works out only to $0.024 / dollar spent. And since there are many no annual fee cards out there that earn $0.02 - $0.03 / dollar on dining and groceries, then $0.024 is not very competitive. And if your spending doesn't match Gold's 'coupons', then the $250 AF eats up all your rewards! You have nothing to lose trying the Gold card, but I personally don't like getting cards just for the SUB's and then cancel. I prefer to pick cards I think will actually work for me. Good luck

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.