Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel notifications

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Travel notifications

As a frequent traveller overseas, one of the biggest annoyances is when I go to use my card and it gets declined, and then my phone starts getting texts and calls about fraud alerts.... all because I forgot to inform the bank of my travel plans.

I know at least one bank (Capital One) doesn't require travel notifications. Are there others?

I plan to use my Chase Sapphire Preferred overseas, for example. Do I really need to inform them (sometimes multiple times a month) every time I'm leaving the country?

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Re: Travel notifications

My Citi card usually works overseas without setting a travel notification, but they warn me that my transactions may not *all* be approved unless I tell them about my trip in advance. So I still feel like I have to set travel notifications for it, even though it has often worked ok when I've forgotten to.

Message 2 of 7
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

As a frequent traveller overseas, one of the biggest annoyances is when I go to use my card and it gets declined, and then my phone starts getting texts and calls about fraud alerts.... all because I forgot to inform the bank of my travel plans.

I know at least one bank (Capital One) doesn't require travel notifications. Are there others?

I plan to use my Chase Sapphire Preferred overseas, for example. Do I really need to inform them (sometimes multiple times a month) every time I'm leaving the country?

You don’t have to with AmEx. In fact, they’ll sometimes notify you based on your purchases that they know you may be traveling.

As for Chase, yes, you do need to notify them unless you want to go through and have to call them every time you are declined while traveling (know this from personal experience, now I just prenotify).

Message 3 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

So you have two options:

1) Tell then you are out of the county basically each time though I did some lump sums when I was traveling internationally. You can do this ahead of time.

2) there is a form that you can fill out, sign, etc and permanently get a travel waiver, or at least there was back in 2017 that might have changed.

        
Message 4 of 7
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@iheartwings wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

You don’t have to with AmEx. In fact, they’ll sometimes notify you based on your purchases that they know you may be traveling.

As for Chase, yes, you do need to notify them unless you want to go through and have to call them every time you are declined while traveling (know this from personal experience, now I just prenotify).

Ugh, that's annoying. I get why they do it (fraud is expensive), but I really wish banks like Chase had a "frequent traveller" feature, where you could just turn off travel fraud alerts once and for all.

Cap1 (and apparently amex) have figured out how to make it work, so I wonder why other large banks don't follow suit.

Message 5 of 7
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

2) there is a form that you can fill out, sign, etc and permanently get a travel waiver, or at least there was back in 2017 that might have changed.

That's what I was hoping for, I'll call next week and ask about this. Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I know it may seem like a hassle to call ahead of time and give them an itinerary, but not as much as having to get declined, then call, then go thru verification/fraud, then get approved for a purchase.

I always call on my cards that I'll be using to give them a heads up, even Cap1. Im one that doesn't like surprises when traveling, especially like a blown tire etc...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.