Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling Domestically

tag
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

Traveling Domestically

I'm wondering if I need to tell my card companes if I'm traveling domestically within the US.    I have cards with Discover, Amex (2), Barclays and Penfed.   Anyone have any idea?

As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Traveling Domestically

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I'm wondering if I need to tell my card companes if I'm traveling domestically within the US.    I have cards with Discover, Amex (2), Barclays and Penfed.   Anyone have any idea?

It wouldn't hurt just to hit them up on chat and let them know to expect activity in certain places, especially if you've never used them there before. It can save potential headaches.

One note though: I know Amex and Discover can follow you with the GPS on your phone (if you activate the setting), letting them know that you are where your card is being used. In this case, you should be fine domestically. I don't have the latter two, so I can't speak for them.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't hurt to let them know. I've heard of situations where someone uses a CC in California (let's say), go for a meeting in Texas (uses the card over there) and when that same person flies back to California at night on the same day, the card gets declined because the Bank thinks that someone else is using the card. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone that travels but I mean, the U.S is huge! I'd let them know, specially if you're going from the east coast to the west coast or vice-versa.

Message 3 of 18
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

Having had charges declined and card blocked temporarily on vacation because I didn't give travel notice (thanks, Chase, for doing your job), I would recommend that if a card has a process for travel notifications, I would take advantage of that. 

Of the companies on your list, I only speak of Discover and AmEx. You can register travel with Discover. Go to Account Center --> Manage --> Manage Cards --> Register Travel. 

For AmEx, you don't have to register for any travel but make sure you have the app and they have your updated contact information. I've used my card internationally without registering for travel without issues.

Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Personally I never do it for domestic travel (for the last, oh, some time, it's not exactly unusual for people to travel out of state!).    On the other hand, down side is fairly small (just time spent, and, for the paranoid, an extra path for someone to discover you will be away from home).

Message 5 of 18
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Amex isn’t a concern at all.
My fiancée has one of my Amex cards in the US and I’m currently in Barbados for work. Both cards have gotten swiped the same day on several occasions. Never heard a single peep from them. Never had a charge declined except one online purchase for over a grand.

Don’t use discover much overseas as acceptance is even worse then Amex. They have a travel notification section.

Can’t comment on the other two as I don’t have Barclays and don’t use penfed overseas

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

sammyfire2001 in response I can say some of my cards froze my accounts for being in the neighboring state. In truth it was a pain. So, you might look at your domestic travel plans and decide, is it more work to notify lenders or just roll the dice and hope for the best? Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 18
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I don't alert the CC companies for anything domestic. Never had any issues and I do quite a bit of travelling.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 8 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

If someone has never travellled, specifically never travelled outside the US, it may make sense to use a travel notification link or chat a CSR.

I don’t do it anymore because I have years of domestic and international travel with AMEX, Chase, US Bank and my Diners Club card. Once the bank understands I do travel, they should not be flustered if I show up in Panamá.

For domestic, if you look at your charge details, those probably show certain merchants as other cities, even if not an online transaction.

There have also been some reports here of confusion on the bank information, related to travel or moving, where the bank started asking identity verification questions. I have had good luck with my cards picking out fraud charges on the few occasions that has happened, so I like to just let them keep working the same algorithm, without me messing it up with TMI.

The corollary is if there is some question about a pending charge, or a payment timing that people have with their bank, and they start taking too much action, creating more problems than doing nothing.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
If someone has never travellled, specifically never travelled outside the US, it may make sense to use a travel notification link or chat a CSR.

I don’t do it anymore because I have years of domestic and international travel with AMEX, Chase, US Bank and my Diners Club card. Once the bank understands I do travel, they should not be flustered if I show up in Panamá.

For domestic, if you look at your charge details, those probably show certain merchants as other cities, even if not an online transaction.

There have also been some reports here of confusion on the bank information, related to travel or moving, where the bank started asking identity verification questions. I have had good luck with my cards picking out fraud charges on the few occasions that has happened, so I like to just let them keep working the same algorithm, without me messing it up with TMI.

The corollary is if there is some question about a pending charge, or a payment timing that people have with their bank, and they start taking too much action, creating more problems than doing nothing.

Good information Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.