cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling for work a lot w/ Corporate card: apply for SPG or keep ED?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Traveling for work a lot w/ Corporate card: apply for SPG or keep ED?

As the subject says, I travel a lot for work but I use my corporate Amex 90% of the time to pay for the flights, hotel and some other expenses. I have an Amex ED that I use as my daily driver for personal expenses so the MR points I earn go to the same bucket as the Corporate card. However, I never use it for groceries or gas. I was considering applying for the SPG Amex but the situation would be similar: when traveling for work I wouldn't use it to pay for the hotel.

Bottom line: should I continue using my ED (and getting 1.2X on MR points), or apply for the SPG even if most of the time I would only get 1X on SPG points?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Traveling for work a lot w/ Corporate card: apply for SPG or keep ED?

You also have to take a good hard look at the Value of starpoints. Star points are extremely valuable...2-2.6 cents each vs maybe 1 cent for MR
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.