Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tribute Mastercard Change in Terms--Scam

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tribute Mastercard Change in Terms--Scam

Whoa--I just received a letter from Tribute saying that my terms have changed. While I don't care much about the minimum balance terms that they've changed since I never carry a balance, I'm concerned that they've decided, all of a sudden, to charge me a $10 monthly management fee because "my account was delinquent at least once in the last 12 months". I'm beside myself over this--they just gave me a CLI 3 months ago because my account was in "good standing". . . and today they decide to charge me $10/month because of a late payment 9 months ago? This is surreal. . . and to make matters worse, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find anyone at "Tribute" who has any power to do anything--they just bounce you back and forth between call centres in the middle of nowhere. Does anyone know who underwrites this card? This is borderline theft, especially coupled with the 29% interest rate they charge me thanks to that one late payment. Good thing I don't carry a balance.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Tribute Mastercard Change in Terms--Scam

If your scores are in the mid-500s, I would try for a Capital One card and kill the Tribute personally.

Also, all the cash you use to pay fees with Tribute could be used to open a nice secured card through BOA or maybe your local CU.

Just some friendly suggestions.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a capital one, but the CL is only $500, and CLIs can only be system generated. My scores are in the high 600s, but I have a short credit history, so it's hard to get any decent cards. I'd have closed the tribute on the spot, but, sadly, it's my highest credit limit.
Message 3 of 13
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

When you have a good score like you, mid 600's, but a short credit history, you have to recon your denied applications.  You have to realize that if you get a "computer denial" it's because something tripped the program to deny you (like short history).  A call to a human can work wonders, they usually give you a chance to explain the issues and plead your case.  I'd try Chase, they are good about giving people a chance.  Remember if you get denied, RECON the app, you've already gotten a hard pull, might as well get the most mileage out of it...lol.

07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 4 of 13
granny031350
Established Contributor

Tribute is also now charging 4.95 to make a payment from their site as well. 
Message 5 of 13
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I believe Tribute is the company that offered me an "awesome" deal of lowering their AF to a mere $120 if I agreed to activate. I told them no.

If you have mid to high 600 scores (particularly EQ) you stand a good chance of getting a Chase card. They are good with recon if they decline you.

I just applied for the Chase Perfect Card with a 660 EQ and was approved for $15,000, that I am going to combine into my Freedom card for $30,000 total CL.

Chase is great.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 13
diva0969
Regular Contributor

Interesting...I've never had to pay a fee to pay online....
Starting Scores: 12/14/14 FICO EQ: 579 EXP: 586 TU: 591
Current Scores: 12/29/15 FICO EQ: 643 EXP: 667 TU: 670
Goal: 750

Message 7 of 13
Jesedmotherof5
Established Contributor

I just posted the same thing the other day... still sitting on my desk for the last charges to post so i can PIF and cancel it.  What SLIME. I hsvr had the card for 2 years! Late one time for 1 day paid the 30 LF paid the 6.50 MM fee every month. just paid a 100AF in aug no arguement... Im so mad that they would treat me like this over 1 day.
6/9/08 FICO TU 697 EX698 EQ 618uti 6% (once new accounts hit) BIZ- DUNS 80, EX 35
GOAL 2008- 700s+ new car
2010 BE a first time buyer
Message 8 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jerseyguy, I'd go find a local credit union and get in with them. I assume that the high 600's score is your FICO EQ, and they'll be happy with that. They shouldn't mind your short history, or they might want you to open a savings account to partially secure your card.

Print out your FICO score reports and visit several CU's. Tell them that you are NOT authorizing a hard pull at this time, but ask if they would be willing to look over your FICO scores and reports and tell you if you'd be eligible for a CC, and if so, under what terms and for what CL. Shop around with several. If short history is your only negative, you ought to be able to find someone who will give you a chance. GL
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tribute used to be Aspire, they are definitely the scum of the sub-prime cards.  Orchard and Capital One, or a nice BoA 99/500 or fully secured would be much better than Tribute.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.