cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tricked into a new credit card

tag
over_par

Tricked into a new credit card

New to this forum.  I am curious if anyone has had this happen to them and what they did about it.  When checking out at a major department store, my wife used her store card. The account is in my name.  A discount was applied to her purchases and she signed her name for the purchases.  Days later a new Master Card arrived in the mail in my name, a bill for the purchases, and I received a myFICO alert telling me that my score was negatively impacted by this.  My wife did not realize the discount would cause this, nor what the checkout clerk was doing.  She thought she was paying with her store card.  Since I was not in the store when this occurred, I was quite surprised to get a credit card in my name, and irritated by the impact on my FICO  Score.  Thoughts?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Tricked into a new credit card

I guess I'm not following, is this macy's? is your wife auth on your card? at check out with the macy's store card they will sometimes pre-approve you for the visa and the clerk may have just hit except without even saying anything and the card would be sent to you.
Message 2 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Sounds like Sears. If so she should have been given a disclosure form at the checkout counter. I'm sure the clerk was pushing the account as hard as possible - they get a spiff for that you know. Of course no one else can apply for credit in your name (legally), so you could get the whole thing reversed if you wanted to. You could make them remove the INQ and the new account.
Message 3 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

When I go to Sams, once in awhile the checkout person says I am approved for their Discover branded card so this is common.  IMHO technically, your wife comminted ID theft since she open a new account in your name even though he was an AU on the store card. 
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
When I go to Sams, once in awhile the checkout person says I am approved for their Discover branded card so this is common.  IMHO technically, your wife comminted ID theft since she open a new account in your name even though he was an AU on the store card. 

I think the proper interpretation is that the store forced the transaction and was the party here who comitted a fraud. The clerk could have a lot of explaining to do. Why bother risking your job for a very minor spiff?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.