Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried Closing a few Sub Primes Today - HSBC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried Closing a few Sub Primes Today - HSBC

GM All,

I got up this morning and decide to do some spring cleaning in my sock drawer.  I have 2 HSB cards (1 Best Buy Masters and an HSBC Visa), both with 300 dollar limits.  i obtained them both about a year ago when I was trying to re establish credit.  The Best Buy has an anual fee of $79 the HSB has an anual fee of $45.  Needless to say I wanted them both gone before the charges hit.  I called HSBC to cancel, they agreed to waive the annual fee.  That wasnt my goal, but I took it.  I figure I will keep the trade line for another year since it isnt going to cost me anything.  I called back and tried the same thing with the HSBC Visa and they cancelled it without offering to waive the fee. 

Has anyone been successfull having multiple fees waived on HSVC accounts?

WBLKAKE
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: Tried Closing a few Sub Primes Today - HSBC

I just got best buy from HSBC and I have no annual fee that I know of.  Do they charge that to your account right away.  And my other HSBC does have 29.00 AF but I am ok with that.  I just closed CorTrust, Tribute, and Credit One but left my HSBC alone.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

GM Granny,

I had 2 Best Buy cards.  The Best Buy Mastercard, which chared a fee (79).  The other is a Best Buy store card (which I love).  The store card does not charge an anual fee.

WBLAKE.
Message 3 of 9
granny031350
Established Contributor

I have the store card for Best Buy.  I didn't even try for the MC.  My Orchard just gave me a CLI of 200.00 (to 700.00) so I kept that card open.  But I did just close ALL of my fee charging cards.  My Hooters charges me 39.00 and my Orchard was 29.00  and I thought those were reasonable fees to pay each year.  It was interesting to note that your EX score is a lot lower  Mine is the same way. Good scores for TU and Equifax but low for EX. 
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

you never know what HSBC is going to do.Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

They offered to permanently cut my AF in half when I closed, but I declined.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 9
Niki9
Regular Contributor

I better check my best buy MC ....

I have had it about a year.  I don't remember an annual fee!

Message 7 of 9
lisac
Regular Contributor

hsbc was charging me 26.99 % interest.  i called many times to get it lowered.  told me no every time.  last time i got the the supe and she tells me, i must have defaulted. i tell her no look for yourself.  she does, see's never late never over limit. card open six years, only 1300 cl.  after putting me on hold tells me, that the "bank" just decided to raise the interest rates. and i agreed to it if i use the card.  so i told her, i would zero out the card and just "decide" to never use it again.  she says sorry to hear that.  i told her "but not sorry enough to lower interest rate".  Hsbc is now at 0 balance and will stay there.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the hsbc master card, I applied for it and recieved it but never activated it. Well the started sending me invoices stating I was 30 days late. I was under the impression that prior to activation I was not obligated. Ignorance on my part. So anyways, I called to cancel the card and the offered to cut the annual in half, and the second year charge nothing. The also bumped my CL from $300 to $600. I decided to keep it at that point. I also have the best buy master card. I have had for about 6 months now, I am going to see if I can get them to drop the annual fees on that one as well. Over all, HSBC has been good to me so far. I have several CO and CA. They refinanced my auto loan last year from cap1 @ 18% down to 13% after four months of on time payments. I traded my car in and financed through Chase, and hsbc sent me an invite to reapply, I dont think they will match my current rate though. My only complaint about chase is the $10 fee to pay from my checking account. Thats like paying an extra point on the interest rate.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.