Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to close my Blaze MC. <sigh>

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Tried to close my Blaze MC. <sigh>

My Blaze MC is due to hit its 5th year anniversary on the 22nd. I tried last year to close it but the CSR talked me out of it by waiving the $75 AF.  I called today and again tried to close my account and this time, in addition to waiving my AF, she also lowered my APR. At this rate, Ill never be able to close this card

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tried to close my Blaze MC. <sigh>

Congrats?

Message 2 of 22
tcbofade
Super Contributor

LOL!  If they're willing to continue to waive the fee, leave it open... it's not hurting anything.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

LOL!  If they're willing to continue to waive the fee, leave it open... it's not hurting anything.  Smiley Happy

Until you forget about it, miss the renewal, miss the payment, and then get the credit alert.

Just close it and let go of the past and move onto the furture w/o having to even think about Blaze again.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

When calling isn't working out, try mailing them... I guess

Message 5 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Until you forget about it, miss the renewal, miss the payment, and then get the credit alert.

Just close it and let go of the past and move onto the furture w/o having to even think about Blaze again.

OP has great scores and presumably several decent aged cards. It doesn't hurt now, but any benefit must be insignificant.

This isn't some quirky, possibly-useful obscure card. This is garbage by any standard. Save yourself a headache and get rid of it.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Meanie, your my hero! 800 fico scores and rocking a Blaze card!. I would be lighting up the world swiping that baby like no tomorrowSmiley Wink. Just BlazeSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 22
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Let it go.... That's one card thats still a mess... its done its job.... Every time someone closes a subprime, predatory lender, even if they are sweetening the pot with waiving the Af and such... a credit angel gets their wings.... your scores are fine.. you dont need this hot steaming pile of fecal matter soiling your wallet, your sock drawer, or your CR to be honest... its like Kleenex, you use it and then you throw it away ....

-J

Message 8 of 22
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I’m not sure if I should say I’m sorry or congratulations.... lol 

If you truly don’t want the card, then CLOSE IT. Even if they offer you money lol. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Jolt, please tell us how you really feelSmiley Wink

Lol, but 4 realz Meanie, its ok to blaze it, even i the more than average one eventually closed my Fingerhut , though to be fair hsving a place where my finger could find relaxation from all my Hulk Smashing wouldhave been niceSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.