Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip to paris

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Trip to paris

Was thinking of maybe taking a long weekend trip to Paris Any ideas on which cards/rewards programs would offer best redemption value for a NY-Paris flight? Have a decent amount of URs and MRs. Maybe business class would be way to go. Don't want to get slammed on fuel surcharges. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Re: Trip to paris

@red259 wrote:

Was thinking of maybe taking a long weekend trip to Paris Any ideas on which cards/rewards programs would offer best redemption value for a NY-Paris flight? Have a decent amount of URs and MRs. Maybe business class would be way to go. Don't want to get slammed on fuel surcharges. 

First of all, a long weekend is simply just not enough Smiley Happy  Paris is one of my favorite cities, If you need any ideas, shoot me a mesage!  As for the rewards, Delta/Air France has some good deals to Paris, check it out and see what you can get.  Especially this time of year, you may get a good deal.  Business class isnt really worth it for the short flight, unless you have the points to burn.  When flying on my personal dime, I wont spring for a business/first class ticket unless the flight is 7+ hours.  That being said, I flew to Mumbai on KLM economy last November, which was the worst decision of my life. Literally, worst decision ever.  I flew business back...

Message 2 of 7
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

You didnt tell us what kind of points/card you have so kind of hard to suggest. Anw, United has award flight on sale, 57.5k 1 way business to europe, normally it will cost 70k.And coach only 60k roundtrip. To me, any flight over 6hrs is considered long flights. 

Message 3 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

@red259 wrote:

First of all, a long weekend is simply just not enough Smiley Happy  Paris is one of my favorite cities, If you need any ideas, shoot me a mesage!  As for the rewards, Delta/Air France has some good deals to Paris, check it out and see what you can get.  Especially this time of year, you may get a good deal.  Business class isnt really worth it for the short flight, unless you have the points to burn.  When flying on my personal dime, I wont spring for a business/first class ticket unless the flight is 7+ hours.  That being said, I flew to Mumbai on KLM economy last November, which was the worst decision of my life. Literally, worst decision ever.  I flew business back...

I've been to paris twice before and lived in London for awhile, so I'm familiar with the city. By long weekend I mean 4-5 days. The flight paris to ny is at least 7 1/2 hours and sometimes around 8 hours.  I wouldn't pay out of pocket for business but was looking for decent redemptions so I can sleep on an overnight flight. I'm just unable to sleep in economy seats and when I land in europe I am usually completely exhausted. I do not think I have access to Delta miles. I do not fly them and do not have one of their branded cards.  I think I may be able to use UR points on Korean Airlines skypass and then use those to get an air france ticket. No idea the pricing on it though.  

;
Message 4 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@bigbang91 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

You didnt tell us what kind of points/card you have so kind of hard to suggest. Anw, United has award flight on sale, 57.5k 1 way business to europe, normally it will cost 70k.And coach only 60k roundtrip. To me, any flight over 6hrs is considered long flights. 

In my post it says I have URs and MRs. In terms of actual cards I have an CSP which i am downgrading but I have an ink so can transfer still. for MRs I have amex everyday. I have Starpoints but only like 30k which I am going to use to top off my AA account for a long haul first class trip to china. I kind of agree about any flight over 6 hours. The roundtrip for 60k is tempting compared to the biz price which is almost charging me double. 

;
Message 5 of 7
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@bigbang91 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

In my post it says I have URs and MRs. In terms of actual cards I have an CSP which i am downgrading but I have an ink so can transfer still. for MRs I have amex everyday. I have Starpoints but only like 30k which I am going to use to top off my AA account for a long haul first class trip to china. I kind of agree about any flight over 6 hours. The roundtrip for 60k is tempting compared to the biz price which is almost charging me double. 

sorry didnt see you mentioned Ur points, sometime United have those super super sale. I got a 1st class round trip to Japan for 140k,same price as business roundtrip,and would cost 10k out of pocket.But since your timing close,you better off  with coach. However, you should check the price of those flight to see if your points worth above 2cent. I wouldnt redeem my UR points for less than 2cent.

Message 6 of 7
taxi818
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Ok you can forget business class. Unless you drop 3-4k not for a weekend. No way. Much ra ther pay fuel surcharges than that for a weekend. Coach is way yo go. Nay 8 hours.  Not sure how many points you got. If you get it free. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.