Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truist....the good and bad today...

tag
slither43
Regular Contributor

Truist....the good and bad today...

So, I was pretty excited this morning to pay down $17k worth of credit card debt with Truist across 3 cards which would get my total CC utilization below 10% for the first time in forever. My excitement took a tiny hit when I went to pay online and saw I couldn't make an online payment over $2500 and I'd need to call. Ughh, but no big deal I suppose. Pick up the phone and call and waited on hold for 1 hr and 58 min!! lol Thankfully, once I spoke to a rep we got the payents squared away in fairly quick fashion. She was super helpful and polite. Interesting point to current/former BB&T customers....I asked if I would be able to switch my cards over to the new rebranded Truist cards and was expecting a no. She said that they would automatically switch over as they expire BUT she was willing to put in a request to do it now. She did so and said I should expect the new cards in about 7-10 days. Fingers crossed I don't get the same BB&T cards! Will update if/when they arrive!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Truist....the good and bad today...

@slither43 wrote:

So, I was pretty excited this morning to pay down $17k worth of credit card debt with Truist across 3 cards which would get my total CC utilization below 10% for the first time in forever. My excitement took a tiny hit when I went to pay online and saw I couldn't make an online payment over $2500 and I'd need to call. Ughh, but no big deal I suppose. Pick up the phone and call and waited on hold for 1 hr and 58 min!! lol Thankfully, once I spoke to a rep we got the payents squared away in fairly quick fashion. She was super helpful and polite.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you make the payment(s) via your bank's bill pay?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 13
slither43
Regular Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@slither43 wrote:

So, I was pretty excited this morning to pay down $17k worth of credit card debt with Truist across 3 cards which would get my total CC utilization below 10% for the first time in forever. My excitement took a tiny hit when I went to pay online and saw I couldn't make an online payment over $2500 and I'd need to call. Ughh, but no big deal I suppose. Pick up the phone and call and waited on hold for 1 hr and 58 min!! lol Thankfully, once I spoke to a rep we got the payents squared away in fairly quick fashion. She was super helpful and polite.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you make the payment(s) via your bank's bill pay?

To be honest, I never really thought about it. I just saw the notice when paying and figured better safe than sorry and picked up the phone. I kinda wanted to inquire about the new cards soooo....two bird, one stone

Message 3 of 13
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@slither43 wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@slither43 wrote:

To be honest, I never really thought about it. I just saw the notice when paying and figured better safe than sorry and picked up the phone. I kinda wanted to inquire about the new cards soooo....two bird, one stone

Ah, that makes sense. In the future, you might want to use your bank's bill pay for payments like this, if not for all your payments. Personally, I pay all my bills via BofA and most of the major creditors, like Amex and Discover, reflect the payment the same day I make it. With others it may take 24 hours or so before they post. But if you make them early enough before the due date, there's wiggle room in case something goes wrong. By using BofA I can make payments any time, in any amount, as often as I like--although I am not one of those who pays multiple times per month per account! But I could if I wanted to. Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 13
difringe
Established Contributor

@slither43 wrote:

So, I was pretty excited this morning to pay down $17k worth of credit card debt with Truist across 3 cards which would get my total CC utilization below 10% for the first time in forever. My excitement took a tiny hit when I went to pay online and saw I couldn't make an online payment over $2500 and I'd need to call.

encountered the same thing last week. $2500 is the lowest max payment amount across all of my accounts so far, kinda annoying

Message 5 of 13
slither43
Regular Contributor

@difringe wrote:

@slither43 wrote:

So, I was pretty excited this morning to pay down $17k worth of credit card debt with Truist across 3 cards which would get my total CC utilization below 10% for the first time in forever. My excitement took a tiny hit when I went to pay online and saw I couldn't make an online payment over $2500 and I'd need to call.

encountered the same thing last week. $2500 is the lowest max payment amount across all of my accounts so far, kinda annoying

Yeah, between that and the lack of being able to save payment sources. They are my only card issuer that I have to log in all my info every time. But maybe I'll at least have some shiny new cards coming soon. lol

Message 6 of 13
difringe
Established Contributor

@slither43 wrote:

@difringe wrote:

@slither43 wrote:

Yeah, between that and the lack of being able to save payment sources. They are my only card issuer that I have to log in all my info every time. But maybe I'll at least have some shiny new cards coming soon. lol

i had blocked that out of my mind, but also pretty irritating. if i was banking with them, then i probably wouldn't be as annoyed, but since i don't plan on putting any money into my accounts with them, to your point, it's annoying to have to keep entering payment source info

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your debt payment.  Awesome!  Wishing you the best in debt elimination and management. 

Commentary on the maximum payment permitted- $2500

I’m assuming you never had a returned payment or any account restrictions?  This limit just seems peculiar to me, though I may be missing a common occurrence yet to occur in my personal credit history.

Employing a CSR to take any payment over $2500 is more costly to the issuing bank and a miserable customer experience. That amount can easily be a monthly cash flow for many.

Also, you said have to add your payment account each time?  I couldn’t fathom such a poor user interface in 2021, wow. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Message 8 of 13
slither43
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your debt payment.  Awesome!  Wishing you the best in debt elimination and management. 

Commentary on the maximum payment permitted- $2500

I’m assuming you never had a returned payment or any account restrictions?  This limit just seems peculiar to me, though I may be missing a common occurrence yet to occur in my personal credit history.

Employing a CSR to take any payment over $2500 is more costly to the issuing bank and a miserable customer experience. That amount can easily be a monthly cash flow for many.

Also, you said have to add your payment account each time?  I couldn’t fathom such a poor user interface in 2021, wow. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Thanks for the kind words. Feels good to get those lines paid down!

Yes, the $2500 limit is indeed bizarre, especially on cards with $15k limits. This seeems to be the standard with them and not something on my particular accts. I have heard many other people complaining about it as well. And no, no negative history with them or anyone else for that matter. I was really hoping this would go away after the merger but no such luck. 

And yeah, not having a way to save my payment info is maddening. I have asked about that every time I've had to speak to a CSR in hopes that I was just missing something. I wasn't. I expressed my displeasure and they said they would "look into that." I laughed!!

Message 9 of 13
slither43
Regular Contributor

Another interesting tidbit. Although I don't see me waiting on hold ever again to make a payment, I did notie that the payments posted first thing this morning, the day after paying, as opposed to the 2-3 days it generally takes when making them online. More...oddness

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.