Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to decide on a better credit card

tag
Ancalagon
Established Member

Re: Trying to decide on a better credit card

We do plan on doing a lot of travel, so I'm open to something else.  On the flip side though, we aren't big spenders, so I don't see us spending enough outside of gas and grocery to generate enough points / rewards to make it worthwhile.

What travel card(s) should I look at?

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ancalagon wrote:

We do plan on doing a lot of travel, so I'm open to something else.  On the flip side though, we aren't big spenders, so I don't see us spending enough outside of gas and grocery to generate enough points / rewards to make it worthwhile.

If you're not confident you will generate a lot of points outside of gas/groceries you might want to look at Chase Freedom.  I know you mentioned something about set it and forget it, and I'm assuming you were referring to needing to actually accept the 5% offers from Chase Freedom every quarter to qualify, but they do send you an email alert and also have it all over the webpage when you go to pay your bill each month. 

Message 12 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Ancalagon wrote:

Also, pairing the Chase Sapphire Preferred with the Chase Freedom means that you can earn 5 points per dollar on the quarterly categories and convert them over to Ultimate Rewards points rather than use them as cash back.  Just another option.

If you don't spend enough to earn significant travel rewards, then you can earn rewards by taking advantage of the signup bonuses.  Read frugaltravelguy.com, thepointsguy.com, etc.  You just want to make sure you don't apply for too many cards, and that you're not planning any big purchases like a house or a car in the next couple years if you're signing up for a lot of credit cards. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I think Chase Sapphire is the preferred miles card right now.

Message 14 of 29
Ancalagon
Established Member

So:

- AMEX BCP for Gas & Grocery

- Chase Sapphire Preferred (initially) + (maybe) --> Chase Freedom after a year

Buy engagement ring on Chase Sapphire to qualify for 50,000 bonus, then next year roll over to Chase Freedom or keep it depending on if it's benefitting me.

Sound fairly sound?

Message 15 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Ancalagon wrote:

So:

- AMEX BCP for Gas & Grocery

- Chase Sapphire Preferred (initially) + (maybe) --> Chase Freedom after a year

Buy engagement ring on Chase Sapphire to qualify for 50,000 bonus, then next year roll over to Chase Freedom or keep it depending on if it's benefitting me.

Sound fairly sound?

Yes (though it would be odd if I didn't say that). 

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a great plan.

And before the AF hits Sapphire, you can see if you like the card enough to keep in the mix, or PC to the Freedom (Freedom is my personal favorite).

Hard to turn down the 50K bonus on the Sapphire right now.  

BCP is definitely a set it and forget it card. Nice rewards on common spending IMO. No brainer there.

Freedom right now I think still has a $250 cash back bonus also. I applied under the wrong link and only got $100 back. Waahh.

Message 17 of 29
Ancalagon
Established Member

Got links to the bonus sign up pages? I'll probably apply to both right now since I just had the pull for my car loan and the 784 should be sufficient. I'll read the promo terms of course, but is the $3k in 3 months Sapphire bonus calendar months or 90 days?
Message 18 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Ancalagon wrote:
Got links to the bonus sign up pages? I'll probably apply to both right now since I just had the pull for my car loan and the 784 should be sufficient. I'll read the promo terms of course, but is the $3k in 3 months Sapphire bonus calendar months or 90 days?

I think the 50K offer for Chase Sapphire is the basic offer that you will find on their webpage.  But if you want to support a website that provides a lot of good tips, go here and apply through this guy's link.  He will get a referral commission if you do.  http://thepointsguy.com/2011/09/my-experience-getting-the-chase-sapphire-preferred/ (and no, I am not the points guy in disguise, just have found a lot of useful info on his site)

Message 19 of 29
Ancalagon
Established Member

Got "Instant Approval" on the Chase Sapphire Preferred, but I use Google Chrome and to say the window display was totally messed up would be an understatement.  Do I get an email, or follow up phone call, or how does this work?  The page was completely unreadable.

Also I'm a bit hazy on points redemption.  Say I spend $4k next month, that qualifies me for the 50,000 point bonus.  Can I make a payment of $3,500, then opt for a $500 statement credit to pay off the rest of the balance?

I figure also I may as well apply for the Amex Blue now, does the Preferred have any promotion for a first year AF waiver?  I won't spend enough the first year to offset the cost, but in subsequent years I will.  A first year waived AF would be perfect for me.  Or, can I apply for the Everyday, and then convert the account to Preferred later on?

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.